REPLY

Friday, December 20, 2013

"one heart, one mind"


I have been very impressed with one of the missionaries from our stake who has been faithfully sending weekly emails about how it's been like to be a missionary in a different country, how the food is, the lifestyle, culture, and how people are embracing the gospel as he and his companion go out tracking. I look forward to his emails every Monday because they uplift me in the best possible way. They motivate me in a sense that I could do better, and even though I feel like I share the gospel quite a bit, and talk about how happy it makes me there is always room for more. There is always room to not only share the gospel, but to put in action the result that comes from acting upon when we read the Book of Mormon

This past Sunday I taught the last lesson of the year in Gospel Doctrine. The lesson was "Zion-The Pure in Heart". I loved everything about this lesson, and all that was written in it. It was something that I not only needed to teach, but needed to hear for myself. It was a reminder to me of how I can make this challenging world we live in a beautiful one.

I am a first generation member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and although I have had my share of ups and downs with the religion, and the man above himself...I know that this church is true, and that God lives. This lesson entailed the act of becoming unified as a people. I love everyone. I don't care who you are, where you're from, what nationality you are, where you used to live, or whether you were raised in the church or not. We are all equal in Heavenly Fathers eyes, and He wants all of us to be of "one heart, and one mind." 

To be unified because when we all work together in the church, everything falls into place. When we strut around within our community and have that Christlike heart, those who have no idea what it feels like to be happy, or "know" The Lord will see our example of love... and they will want it too. 

To strengthen each other by serving, loving, and helping our full time missionaries bringing others into the fold, because I was one of those who was lost, but was found 21 years ago. I love helping others in any way that I can by being active and participating through performing acts of kindness. Something that is a necessity in today's society. To not be selfish, but selfless. To truly know the meaning of love, and understand what it means to be in unison so that we can enjoy the blessings that come from expressing it in every form. 

Snail mail, emails, social networking are many ways we can reach out to those who want to know where that happiness is. How will they find that happiness of eternal life if we don't share it with them? Some food for thought. 

This season in its purified, most perfect form gives us many opportunities to reach out. To share the light of Christ...even if it's just being a friend. Being of "one heart and one mind "we can all help one another in passing forward this marvelous work of The Lord. To visit those in need, and keep in contact with those who don't come to church. It shouldn't matter whether they have been inactive for decades, years, or a month. I don't ever want to grow weary in helping others. I don't ever want to let anyone damage my testimony, or allow anything to stand in the way of my eternal happiness. I don't want to let trials ruin the plan of happiness that Heavenly Father has in store for me or anyone that I share it with. Oh no...I won't let it. And in order for me to have that I know that I need to participate, and be as active in my heart as well as physically in serving the Savior, and his sheep. 

It has taken me many years to be who I am today. A fearless convert to a church that thrives on love, and strives on unity, and missionary work. A woman of courage who can, and will overcome any adversity that comes my way. 

I pray that we can all embrace the gospel, and in coming together as one. Let the season of Christmas be the beginning of striving to be of "one heart, and one mind". So that in the end our minds will be a clean conscious, and live happily knowing that we are doing our very best.

"I see a wonderful future in a very uncertain world. If we will cling to our values, if we will build on our inheritance, if we will walk in obedience before the Lord, if we will simply live the gospel, we will be blessed in a magnificent and wonderful way. WE will be looked upon as a peculiar people who have found the key to a peculiar happiness.
~President Gordon B. Hinckley (15th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter -Day Saints (1995-2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment