REPLY

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Noah & technology on Sundays.

Remember the time when Noah had a hard time going to class? Well, after weeks of constantly telling him "you're going to class next week because when you don't go Jesus is sad, and you need to learn." I also bribed him that if he went to class he can play with my phone afterwards. I know...bad mom. Having him playing minions after church isn't the best way to keep the spirit, but c'mon...he's only four years old. But wait...statitiscs show that between the ages of three and five are the most crucial ages in which a child begins to truly understand what's right and wrong. It can be an intense stage of development in growing and learning. 

And I need to be mindful of that.

There are still times (like last Sunday) where I'll tell him that if he goes to class he can play games on my phone on the way home. I figured that it would be safe to tell him that because you know for three hours he's busy singing, and learning about Jesus that he won't remember what I said after sacrament meeting. 

Not! 

Oh no...as soon as we get in the car, and with a huge grin on his face he asked, "Can i play with your phone for just a little bit?" With that gorgeous face of his I can't resist. But...sometimes I say no, and when I do I'm so relieved that he doesn't throw a tantrum...he'll just pout. 

And then I give in anyway. Dang that technology! 

I really don't want him getting in the habit of playing games though...especially on Sundays. As a family we try to stay focused on having the spirit lingering all day long. It's not that easy though. Sometimes I even have to do laundry because I spent my Saturday hanging out with my teenage daughter who brings her laundry home which doubles it...and we have to wash on Sunday! 

But when it comes to technology the spirit is totally different. I do see a difference when we watch tv on Sunday as opposed to keeping it tech-free. There are some Sundays where we'll watch TV, but it's a church documentary, or a movie directed by a mormon.

But let me rewind a bit. 

I have gotten better at telling Noah that he can no longer play games after church, and it seems as if he's been coming around lately with wanting to go to class on his own (okay...I give him some fruit snacks in the end.) I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but he seems to get along with his teacher, and the other kids. So hopefully he'll get over this technology bug as soon as learns to read a book, play a sport, and get him into piano lessons. 

This past Sunday he actually fell asleep right before his class started, and one of the sisters brought him to my class. Sierra, and I took turns holding him, and he slept the entire hour! I was so happy that he did! I have never had to hold any of my children during Relief Society, and I was okay with that. 

There's a first time for everything. 

On the way home he didn't ask for my phone, and I was in shock! I think he was so tired from attending a sweet sixteen party the night before. He was such in a daze staring into space the whole way home. He was probably coming down on all that sugar he inhaled, and was in need of some more. Apparently all he drank that night was orange crush, and ate a ton of chocolate (that's what happens when you stay home sick, and let your hubby take the kids to the party. Can we say spoiled!) 

I guess this is what i get for having a technology generation baby. I have to go with the flow, learn as he grows, and with a little bit of sternness...cut him some slack too. 

Let's just hope he'll continue to attend his little class so that he can be prepared to start a whole new class in the new year!  

Without any bribing or technology!  

No comments:

Post a Comment