REPLY

Friday, December 13, 2013

Photos from our Snow day, Part II.

One thing about living in Jersey that tends to annoy me is the fact that school gets cancelled for a few inches of snow. Yes...anything less than 10" is a few to me. I really don't like negativity, but I guess that comes with social networking. You gotta have tough skin to have the guts to go online, and write a simple status about your feelings towards any subject that may be in your heart to share.

Fortunately I have thick skin with a side of kindness, and that those who choose to comment with attitude, and negativity is on their conscious...not mine.

While others criticize those of us who have lived in snowy conditions whether it's out west, the mid west, or Alaska or anywhere else where it snows a ton for complaining of school shutdowns because we are not used to it you have to understand that for those of us who are not "veterans" of the east coast or Jersey that we (at least me) am still adjusting to that.

Being raised in Texas, and growing up with average cold fronts & "freezes" is different than actually living in snowy weather. Freezing rain will shut down all roads & even freeways because it'll ice up, and that i understand. No one wants to be slipping and sliding into moving cars, and hitting power poles, lampposts, or heaven forbid a person.  I've seen that, and it's not a pretty sight.

Now...when it comes to snow I thank my lucky stars that I learned to drive in it while living in Utah. Yes, Utah. I lived there off & on for 10 years, and even when we had 5-10 inches of snow the kids still had school. I have never lived in a place where they canceled school until now.

But you have to remember that I've only been living in Jersey for five years, and out of those five years we've only had one or two snowstorms where school was cancelled. Jon and I were like what????  

I get the fact that school gets cancelled for the safety of our kids, and drivers on the road, but it doesn't make sense to me when a township that is 15 minutes away has a two hour delay and we have a total shutdown.

When you have an almost 14 year old who is a brainiac schooloholic you'd understand why I personally think it's ridiculous why school gets cancelled. And we would rather not have too many snow days and end the school year as early as possible because these days summers tend to get shorter!

I was simply stating on my status that we should save snow days for when we have an actual blizzard, or a super storm and not waste them on trivial days where the snow is going to recede at 12 noon while the sun is shining, and the streets are cleared of snow. I didn't mean for my status to cause a stir of echoes. However I am grateful for friends who have a positive attitude in understanding my side of a simple status, and I love you for that! 

But on the surface we all managed to have fun on our snow days, and that we took advantage of this glorious snowy weather again!

And here's more proof...

^^ shoveling ice out of the birdbath ^^
I'm excited to say that we are expecting more of this white powder this weekend so get used to it Jersey folk. I love it, and hope that school doesn't get cancelled on Monday (and if it does I'll suck it & soak in the rays of snow.) I LOVE my kids, and enjoy spending time with them. 
Have a wonderful weekend whether it's rain, sleet, snow, or sunshine! 



No comments:

Post a Comment