REPLY

Monday, December 9, 2013

farewell to a great stake presidency.

 ^^ photo source William James ^^
Never before have I ever seen an entire Stake Presidency released from the church. Okay, I have seen one but I don't think it counts because I was new in the church and the stake presidency had changed three months after I joined, and I didn't really know them that well. I also don't think moving five times from state to state in the past 19 years helped us see the effort and hard work a stake presidency really does. 

For the first time in my 21 years of being a member in the church I have finally been in an area long enough to witness a stake presidency be released. I have also seen them do the work of The Lord in action. The unconditional, non judging love that they expressed, the handshakes, the hugs, the talks, lessons, and their overall spiritual being that they shared with all of the members is something that will be etched in my mind forever.   

This past Sunday President Corbitt, Sikahema, and VanDerwerken were all released from their callings in the stake presidency. They were an amazing presidency and call me bias but they were my favorite. There I said it. Okay...maybe it's because our nomadic life is at a standstill right now, and we have managed to stay put in the same spot for the past five and a half years. But man, oh man having President Corbit as a stake president especially among the youth was utter bliss. At least it was for me and my girls.

And his release was bittersweet. 

But wait...there is some great news and I'll get to that in a minute. 

When I received a text from President Sikahema this past Thursday asking me to meet with him for a few minutes and then stay for the stake council meeting for two hours (which ended up being more like three) I had a feeling I was going to get a stake calling. I had canceled going to our Christmas Enrichment gathering due to my daughters Winter concert in middle school, and when I received the text from Vai I knew it was too important to pass up. As much as I love my daughter I chose to be at this meeting instead of her concert. Luckily my husband was able to go for the both of us to see, and hear Lexie sing. 

I attended what would be President Corbitt's last stake council meeting with all the stake auxiliaries in the church as well as his presidency, and I was invited. Simply because I have been given a new calling. It's safe to say that I am now the secretary in The Young Women Stake Presidency. I am honored to be given this calling, and excited to be serving with a wonderful young women presidency as well as serving the young women in the stake. I really hope I can be a be a strength to them, and in return learn from the young women.   

Fond memories of President Corbitt go back five years...especially for Sierra. I know she has documented many moments of his craziness, goofiness, & silliness and all. I'm sure there will come a day where she will tell stories to her kids about him. It'll be interesting what kind of stories she'll tell, and how descriptive she will be in telling them. Especially when his name comes up. "One year at girls camp it was hilarious because President Corbitt was hoping he'd win the water fight but he didn't!" "Oh...and every time we had a youth dance President Corbitt would always dance with us, and man did he have some moves. He had soul, and sure knew how to dance!" You know...sweet stories like that in which the girls will treasure forever. 
And then she'll tell them about the serious ones, and how there were times when his advice, and talks would be so sincere. Setting the craziness, and goofiness aside because he was ready to listen. He was always ready to listen. That is how much he really cares about the youth, and our daughters.  
President Corbitt was the cream of the crop of how a stake president should be, and he will sorely be missed. His new calling as a mission president is perfect for him, and I know that he will be loved no matter where he serves. Those missionaries are sure going to love him! 

And now for the great news... 

It looks like both President Vai Sikahema, and President Joseph VanDerwerken will continue to stay in the stake presidency because they were both called to be in it again! President Vai Sikahema is our new stake president, and President Vanderwerken is one of his counselors! I couldn't be more thrilled, and pleased with our new chosen stake president! 

The great thing about the church and for any member are the callings that are given to us. I'm personally grateful for the various callings I've had in the church since joining, and how they have helped me grow spiritually. I'm grateful for change, and that I have a new calling. I will miss the calling as gospel doctrine teacher, and will always be grateful to have had that calling even though it was for a short period of time. 

Change is good, without it none of us would ever continue to learn or grow. 

So congratulations to our new Stake Presidency...Presidents Vai Sikahema, Joseph Vanderwerken, and Kim McNaughton which I'm sure I'll grow to know. 

They are going to be great!

5 comments:

  1. I know this is an old post but I happened to find it on google! I will be a missionary under President Corbitt in September in the Dominican Republic! He sounds like an incredible leader, and this post made me even more excited to work with him! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! First of all congrats on your calling to serve as a missionary, and I honestly believe that you are going to be serving in one of the most amazing places in the world with an amazing mission president. He was our stake president for six years, and I LOVE HIM! You are so lucky, and Dominican Republic mission is going to be so blessed to have him there. You will not be bored. You will be strengthened, and motivated. You will feel as if you were at a general conference listening to a future apostle speak. You will will feel the spirit every time he speaks. He will love you as if you were his own daughter. He's amazing, and I thank you for your comment. His farewell is this sunday and I'm going to let him know about his future sister missionary that left me a comment on this post (hope you don't mind!) I'd love to keep in touch if that's okay while you're on your mission. Good luck to you, and stay strong! Not much longer now!!

      xo-Rose

      Delete
    2. Yes it is totally okay if you mention it to him! :) I am so excited to work under him, it will be so great! And yes of course you can keep in contact. My missionary email is nicole.schmidt@myldsmail.net :) and yes a little over 4 months!

      Delete
    3. Nichole...I forgot to ask where you're from!

      Delete