REPLY

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Our Memorial Day.

I remember the first time I began to really understand what the military was all about was when a friend I met back in college mentioned to me how he went to Saudi Arabia. I had just joined the LDS church, was on my own, and was beginning to learn how to truly "unshelter" myself from the world. I didn't quite understand why he went, or what he did while he was there, and when I asked him how Saudi was he said he didn't want to talk about it. I respected his response, and never questioned him about it again. Years passed, and now that I'm older, and understand more about what's going on with the world, war, and our troops my heart just grows deeper. Having lived in North Carolina for two years really helped me to understand even more. Especially when we were living in Fayetteville attending a ward that was 95% military. I grew to really appreciate the acts of sacrifice they would make in order to serve not only within the church, but to our country as well. I saw their willingness to fight, be strong, and to endure no matter how rough it was. There were so many young men & women fighting for our freedom leaving their families behind to make the world a better place. I have learned to appreciate what they do for us, and for the past ten eight years have made sure to remember both the fallen troops of the past, and those who are still fighting for our country today. 

Living in the east has its advantages and we are surrounded by so much "war" history. I love that we live in an area where we can drive 45 minutes to Valley Forge to see Washington's Headquarters, and two hours to Washington D.C. to visit all the memorials. I have become somewhat of a history buff since moving here, and I want my children to know what Memorial Day means to me, and what it's all about. They have learned that's it not just any other day, but a day of remembering.  


On this Memorial Day we decided to go to Valley Forge National Park to visit the sites. I didn't take as many pictures as I did the last time we were here, but let me tell you...I felt an entire different feeling the second time around. I really love this place, and visiting Washington's Headquarters is always so humbling.  

After visiting Valley Forge we did end up driving to the beach. The kids, particular my two younger ones kept talking about going to the beach since...this morning! I guess you can say this was one of the warmest days we've had thus far, and out of all the days for it to be hot it had to be on Memorial Day! Chelsea, and Noah had too much fun. To them it's all about the sand. They absolutely love getting all sandy while building sand castles. 
They mostly preferred digging in the sand more than going in the water. It's probably a good thing because let me tell you...the water was freezing cold!! I took baby steps slowly going in, but the water only made it to my calves. It was so freaking cold! Chelsea is a pretty brave soul, and kept going back and forth to put water in the pails to build sandcastles. You can tell by her reaction how cold the water was...
She eventually got used to it, and just enjoyed the crashing of the waves against her...legs.
^^^ and Lexie just relaxed the entire time. ^^^
^^^ and Noah would get tempted to go into the water which he did end up doing, but after falling while a wave was crashing did not go back in again. (too bad I didn't get that on camera!) ^^^  
Although we had some recreational fun on this day I'm glad we took the time to think of the fallen from the past, and to remember them on this day. 

Every year Memorial day becomes more, and more meaningful to me, and the first thing I want to do on this holiday before any fun is to pay our respects for all who have died. How nice, and peaceful it would be if our troops would return home. But until that day comes I will always, always keep them in our prayers.

And I hope your Memorial Day was lovely too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment