REPLY

Thursday, May 8, 2014

22 years a latter-day saint.

So...this past Saturday (same day as Mormon prom) marked 22 years of becoming a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. So if you thought I was turning 22 because of the sign I'm holding bless your heart...I'm actually 42!

Every spring I look forward to many milestones. This being one of them. I can't believe a whopping 22 years have gone by since joining this wonderful church that teaches me about God & gives me hope in times of despair, strength when I am weak, and love when I hurt. 

As I stood up to bear my testimony in front of our congregation this past Sunday with eyes glaring at me whilst bearing my soul I couldn't help but to feel so much love from my Heavenly Father. It amazes me sometimes the feeling that comes over me after sharing my testimony. I feel at peace, and couldn't thank my Heavenly Father enough for giving me the chance to have started my life over again in hopes to become a better human being.

My testimony is always different each time I bear it. I let the spirit guide in the things I want to share. As I recall in my testimony I mentioned how life without the gospel is hard, and it was extremely hard throughout my youth without it. I know this because I didn't have it for the first 20 years of my life. It has helped me in times of challenges and stress, family, people, and overall "life". It strengthens me in ways that are profound, and I am so grateful to always find the courage to share it with others when the time is right. It's so important to focus on the things that bring us positive moments, and to strive to be a better person no matter how rough this thing called life gets.

There is so much I want to say in a testimony, and so little time. There are even moments where I gather all these thoughts in my head as to what I'm going to say and then when I get up there I end up saying something completely different. It's so nonchalant when you let the spirit guide and I end up enjoying the testimony I just shared more than the thoughts that were in my head. I don't like taking up too much time at the pulpit because I want others to have the opportunity to share their testimony as well.

It's always a great feeling to know that I stood up after sitting down. I remember the first time I stood up to bear it 22 years ago in my small ward in Texas I was nervous as heck, but I did it. I've  come to realize that the more I share it whether it's at church, or in a public setting that it becomes easier. I don't do well with silence, or gaps in between testimonies, and there is no way I can just sit there in silence and miss an opportunity to open my mouth. I love it, and without being an overzealous member that goes up every fast sunday I don't always want to stand up, but sometimes that spirit nudges me. That's when I know I need to get up & bear a simple testimony of how much I appreciate the Lord, and for a prophet in restoring His gospel. 

I know this church is true, and that the Book of Mormon is true.  If these two things weren't true to my heart, and didn't believe so strongly in them I would have given up a long time ago on life, and wouldn't continue to stick to it for this long. No matter how hard the trial, no matter how rough the drama with people, and family in general...my belief in those books are firm, and I pray that it always will be. 



No comments:

Post a Comment