REPLY

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

enduring to the end when it comes to the temple.

^^^ front of the Philly temple ^^^
Five years ago during General Conference it was announced that a temple in Philadelphia will be built. Even though we'd only been living here for a few months we were totally stoked when we heard the announcement!! I love the temple, and although I don't mind driving hours to attend to one the feeling of having one so close to home is awesome! It's unfortunate that there were so many roadblocks that prevented this particular temple for the groundbreaking to be done, and dedicated but alas it's getting done, and is in the process of being built. It just goes to show you that "no unhallowed hand will stop the work of the Lord from progressing" and this is proof that it never will. And that is truly a miracle! 
^^^ side view of the Philly temple ^^^
I remember when there was just a big hole in the ground and how it took forever for any kind of structure to be up. And now there is. Every time we drive into Philly I have to drive by the temple site, and I never grow weary in doing so. I'll pullover for a few minutes & just stare up at it. How easy it'll be to drive across the bridge, or take the train into the city to enter in the House of the Lord when you feel you need peace for the day, week, or month. I remember when we lived in Salt Lake how Jon would go in the morning right before work and start the day right.  

I really hope, and pray that members from our surrounding area will attend frequently, and forgive me for saying this not "whine" about the 5 dollar toll, train ride, gas or parking. One thing I have noticed since moving here is listening to members complain (yes, complain) about how far driving to the temple in D.C. is and how expensive tolls are with gas, etc. Literally made my heart sad because I remember when I first joined the church in Texas how there was only one temple built and how members in my ward then would drive eight hours to Dallas! Eight! My sweet friend Sharon who has now passed on had Multiple sclerosis, and literally drove her van to the ground because she attended the temple in Dallas so much. Memories of her temple stories were a motivator for me, and I will always treasure her experiences, and will always remember the glow on her face as she would talk about them. She never once whined about the long drive especially when it was during those hot Texas summers. Too bad I never had the opportunity to attend the temple with her, but I know that I will see her on the other side. She lived a great life, one that was true, filled with commitment for the Lord, and I know that she will definitely be on the other side of heaven waiting on her loved ones.

Learning how hard the pioneers endured by sacrificing everything they owned, and had in order to establish "Zion", and complete the building of the temple is a key factor as to why I love the temple so much. I'm not an aficionado on Mormon doctrine, or the pioneers but I know that they sacrificed so much for us so that we can have this restored gospel, and to have these beautiful buildings built so that we can do work for our kindred dead. 

I know there are many of us with financial hardships, health issues, or "work a lot" during the week to not make the two hour drive to the temple, but I know that with perfect faith The Lord can help us make it there. As many temples as I have been to in different states I can't even begin to tell you how many brothers, and sisters with disabilities and old age attended. It's amazing to see these widows, and widowers gathered together just to make it to the temple. They endure to the end, and make it a priority. It's doable folks because Jon and I attempt to go at least once a month. Through all the hardships we have endured since losing his job last summer we've never given up on going to the temple. I just hope and pray that when I'm a senior citizen that I'll be able to endure just as those sweet old couples, widows, and widowers.

While Jon was out of a job recently during the brutal winter we sometimes went twice a month because we believe in the blessings that come from it. We believe that in God's time we will blessed with good things, and we never give up on the Lord. I have sacrificed too much, learned too much, built a testimony far greater than I could ever imagine to just throw it all away by not attending the temple. And no matter how hard life may get whether it's emotional, or financial I will not let this beautiful building go to waste. No matter where we live I will make sure that my family and I make it to the temple. It's so important to teach our children from a young age what the temple is all about because in the end they are going to be doing the work for us. They are the ones that are going to continue the family history, and build our heritage. I personally think it's about time that my children index, and do family history work. I know that it will strengthen them spiritually, build their testimony, gain a greater faith, and help them to appreciate their ancestors as well and truly "get" why we have these beautiful buildings called The House of the Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment