REPLY

Monday, May 5, 2014

"look up"...especially when it comes to life & people.

After watching this video I was very disturbed at how true the words of Gary Turk are. Even though I have this little blog & am on various social networks I strive real hard to keep in touch with life. I make an effort to call my friends, & family from afar, and actually give 100% attention to the friends that I see on a weekly basis by taking the time to see them in person. I have been blessed to have a couple of friends fly up to spend time with me from afar & that's all kinds of good! I'm so so happy to have a few good friends nearby to "hang" with, and if I haven't seen you in like five, ten, or even 20 years I promise that when we do see each other again it'll be like I never left! 

One thing I'm most grateful for when it comes to this generation with technology is that it doesn't run my life & I'm teaching our kids the same thing...especially the younger ones.
We've never owned a computer until my oldest daughter started high school, and have always had one in the house because that's all we need. I know most parents have multiple computers or laptops in the house, and feel that they have to get one per kid, but that's just ridiculous. Even if I could afford that I would in no way have more than one. I've never spoiled or encouraged my kids to get on a social network as well. 

When my oldest was 15, and asked if she could get a Facebook specifically for school, and to reconnect with old friends I said that would be okay. I signed up for Facebook way before Sierra did after I had Noah, and didn't see the harm in it. Now that she's in college she's hardly on any social network which makes me feel relieved. She'll share a few photos of her friends, blog every once in a while, tweet every few days, but she's not on it every ten minutes. Days, sometimes a week will go by without seeing a tweet, or post from her. Then again...we actually communicate with each other via FaceTime, and call each other, not text.

Lexie will be a freshman in high school this fall, and has no desire whatsoever to get a Facebook, and that makes me feel more relieved! Chelsea has only used the computer to look up research for reports for school, and doesn't even have her own phone...she's barely nine. She's never really been exposed to severe iPad use except for Noah. I have totally limited iPad use for Noah down to about oh, let's see...zero hours. Unless we are on long road trips they can watch a movie on it, and only after we've grown tired of playing the license plate game, or I spy. I do find myself from time to time giving him my iPhone to play a game while running errands, but then again...that's why we have books in the car. He is so good when I tell him it's time to give me the phone without throwing a tantrum. He's growing up way too quick, and want him to be engaged with life outside more than a piece of aluminum glass. 

I want all of my kids particularly the younger ones to get involved with recreational activities. Not technology. 

I want them to feel the sun on their face as they're running and playing on a sandy beach. I want them to slide down the slide with laughter instead of them saying "I'm tired mommy, can I play with your phone for just a little bit." I want them to know that there is a world out there where you can "look up" and see all of God's beautiful creations. Blue skies, birds, green trees, and most of all...people. I want them to live in the moment, and to "feel". To have feelings for others, and not be like a "robot" when it comes to people. I want them to forget for one minute that smart phones, or iPads even exist. And to enjoy all their surroundings when they are outdoors. 
Yes...I want this for my future posterity as well. I hope that after my kids watch this important message, and read this post that they will see how far we've come in being "antisocial" when it comes to people. It's not good, and although technology is used for many a great things I personally don't see why my kids need an electronic device to entertain them when they have their books, piano, violin, crayons, legos, trains, the playground, friends, and most of all...me (and their dad when he's not working).

Oh...and water ice as a treat for being understanding when it comes to the rules of this whole technology fiasco which makes them the best kids ever! 
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop & look around once in a while...you could miss it." 
~taken from the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off


No comments:

Post a Comment