REPLY

Monday, May 26, 2014

Delaware Art Museum.

A couple of years ago when I rented a car from enterprise they gave me a bunch of pamphlets of places to tour, and see. I really had no interest in them because some of them were in small towns around New Jersey. It didn't interest me then, but it does now. Lately I have been on a quest to seek out fun things to do for my kids for the summer, and that's when I remembered the pamphlets. I ended up driving back to enterprise to request them, and this time I am keeping them. There are so many fun sights to see around our neck of the woods that I totally took for granted...including the small state of Delaware. 

So this past Saturday we decided to check out the Delaware Art Museum. This hidden treasure is tucked away in the beautiful town of Wilmington. It's located in a quaint, residential area surrounded by a lot of trees! This museum was perfect. Admission prices are extremely affordable, and on Sundays the fees are waived! The collection of art displayed is a mixture of Howard Pyle who is a Wilmington Native who died in 1911, British Pre-Raphaelites, John Sloan, and a lot of American art that dates from the 19th Century to present day. 

Here are some of our moments spent at the museum... 

^^^  black and white photos dated from the early 1900's ^^^
^^^ there's a journal left on the table for visitors to sign, and give their thoughts on the curator who displayed these black and white photos. ^^^
^^^ Chelsea is doing a puzzle, and matching up the pieces as displayed in the case. They are called tobacco jars, and are in the forms of birds, and a grotesque. Apparently men would hide their treasures in them. ^^^
^^^ Reminds me of the Armor of God. ^^^
^^^ Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence. ^^^
^^^ Noah taking a break ^^^
There are sculptures on the grounds of the museum given as gifts in memory of specific artists, and I have to say that the grounds are absolutely breathtaking. There are a few benches where you can just sit, and relax and take in the beauty of this surrounding. The kids and I had a great time taking in this wonderful work of art, and just walking around enjoying the scenery. 
The kids discovered quite a bit including this amazing Labyrinth. 
Apparently it used to be a reservoir. I found Lexie doing some brisk walking, and I yelled out at her from above saying, "What are you doing?" She seemed as if she was in a daze concentrating on her mind or something. And she was! I felt bad because I interrupted her moment inside the labyrinth. She said she was trying to block me out because she said it was actually working! I left her alone, and she completed walking the labyrinth in about 20 minutes. 
Noah and Chelsea found this pile of stone rocks, and Noah was in heaven. I told him that the rocks were too hard to get out, and that they are there as a work of art. 
I loved every minute of this day, and my kids are really beginning to find out what art means to them. They are explorers, and have a big imagination when it comes to creating visions in their head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment