REPLY

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Crossing Our Fingers.

If any of you out there who have ever worn braces knows now painful it can be when you go to your six/seven week check ups to have them tightened. I have never had braces, and so far Chelsea is our only kid who has to experience this unfortunate phase in her young life. One positive outcome of her experience with braces is the fact that Jon had them too. He was about her age, and had them on for about two years.
One thing he told her when she heard the news that she was going to need them was, "if you don't want to leave them on for more than two years, make sure you brush and floss faithfully every day, don't eat anything sticky, don't chew gum, and most importantly, when they are taken off wear that retainer otherwise you'll teeth will shift, and you'll need them on again!" When Jon said this I was quite surprised because, (and maybe I'm being judgmental), but I would think a boy would do a worse job at not keeping those rules. Especially when it comes to brushing. I only say this because as much as Noah loves brushing his teeth, I have to remind him to brush sometimes! So naturally I just thought boys are worse when it comes to hygiene. Jon proved me wrong! So far Chelsea has done an excellent job in keeping them clean, and free from any thing gooey. I admit I have seen her suck on a gummy bear, and I only let it slide because I felt sorry for her, but now that she has so little time to have them taken off I am being a super strict- braces mom freak, and not letting her eat, or suck on anything chewy and gooey. 

Chelsea sees a difference in her check ups, and when she tells me that some of her friends have had them on for three or five years is shocking to her, and absolutely does not want to have them on that long. She has been a good sport for the past year, and on her next check up in November will determine whether or not her braces will come off. If not, it'll be two years next March that she'll have them on. I mentioned to her that the months will fly, but to her they will drag. Only because of the upcoming holidays, and her wish to be able to eat twizzlers again soon! Time will tell, and I hope her Christmas wish will come true! 

Hope your day was great, because mine was pretty good. I do enjoy pulling out my kids from school to spend time with them. Even if it's just for an hour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment