REPLY

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Nostalgic Temple Trips


Yesterday the youth of our church attended the temple in D.C. to do baptisms for the dead. When my daughter returned from the temple she shared with me a spiritual experience that she had while in the temple. While in the dressing room she noticed a sister who was speaking in spanish asking questions to other sisters, and no one was helpful in understanding her. Sierra felt inspired to reach out to her, and help her through her translation, but was nervous in doing so...her spanish isn't as strong. Sierra listened to the spirit in helping her with her question, understood it, and responded while at the same time directing her where she needed to go which was the baptismal font. Now, I speak spanish in the home quite a bit, and there are times when Sierra can't understand me! It takes her awhile. Yesterday in the temple it took her a second to understand this sister's spanish, and answered her questions fluently... without any hesitation. The spirit worked through her, and I thought that was amazing and indeed the work of the Lord. 

Because of her experience, I felt inspired to write about how important attending the temple is in our lives, and to share with you some of our experiences. 

When my husband and I became sealed in the temple in 2003 in Salt Lake City I knew that I would be going to the temple at least once a week, and I did. Sometimes living close to a temple can be easy for one to attend more... or for one to make excuse after excuse, and not go. Living in Salt Lake City and attending the temple on a regular basis was very easy for me. I am grateful to the Lord to have immediatley given me that great gift of having a testimony of how important it is to attend the temple regularly. I always look forward to going and it is never repetitious, time-consuming, or trite for me. Maybe it wasn't that hard for me to go because I wasn't raised with it, and it was something that seemed so special to me that I had to become familiar with it, and have a clear understanding of it before I entered in. I also wanted that desire, (you know, the kind that has your heart pounding a million miles a minute when you know you need to do something spiritual), and it came after I had my second daughter. 

Since my my conversion in 1992, my goal in becoming a part of this church was to get to the temple, but sometimes there are reasons that prevent us from getting to the temple. For some it can take exactly a year to the date when they were baptized, and for some it can take years. Everyone' reasons are different. It took me 11 years to enter into the House of the Lord, but it was worth the wait. As I look back, 11 years doesn't seem that long. As I look at some of these photos it seems as if I went through yesterday, and that is a GREAT feeling to have.

Albuquerque, New Mexico temple
Even before I was able to enter the temple, my family and I would take road trips to visit my mom in Texas during the summer months away from Utah. On our way down we would always stop in New Mexico and Lubbock to take pictures of the temple. I have been in the temple in Albuquerque since those 26 hour road trips, and it was worth the wait. 
Sierra and Lexie on the temple grounds in Albuquerque

                                             Lubbock, Texas Temple-July 2003

When we moved across the country to North Carolina I was sad that the nearest temple wasn't going to be five minutes away...it was going to be 75 minutes away. I tried not to complain too much. I tried to attend at least twice a month and entered in with a contrite spirit and actually enjoyed the 75 minute commute. It was probably because of all those 26 hour road trips to Texas we did for five years living in Utah, and the fact that we attended most of the temples in the Utah Valley, including Bountiful, Provo, Ogden, St.George, Logan, Jordan River, Mt. Timpanogas, Manti, Monticello, Vernal, and of course Salt Lake City. They've added two temples since 2007... Draper and Oquirrh Mountain temple, (we plan to attend those once we go back to visit Utah), and there are two under construction in Payson, and Brigham City.

Raleigh, NC Temple~this was our little temple for two years!

Mormon Miracle pageant in Manti on the temple grounds~2006
Since we knew we would be moving across the country, we also decided to take advantage and do a temple trip and drive up north towards Seattle to attend temples outside of Utah. I really enjoyed that part of the country and always loved vacationing up there. The girls always looked forward to going and visiting all the temples of the Lord...while at the same time having some outdoor fun.

Idaho Falls Temple-Summer 2005



We then drove up to Portland, Seattle, and Spokane temples and did sessions in there as well.


Seattle, Washington- Summer 2005
On the temple grounds.
I love this statue that resembles a family.
I couldn't believe we attended four temples in four days and also made time to play at Cannon Beach in Oregon. These days will always be cherished, and I know my girls will always treasure them as well.

We also went to Las Vegas during the summer to visit my cousin Blanch. I was so excited to finally be able to go into the temple in Las Vegas. 

On our way home we stopped by the St. George temple to do a session.


While we lived in North Carolina we took a trip to Sarasota, Florida to visit my only sister. On our way down we went to the Atlanta temple and did a session. We also went to Orlando to attend the temple there, and it was nice.  It was a great memory and I will never forget it.

Spring 2007
On the steps of the Atlanta temple

Side view of the Orlando temple

We now live in New Jersey and have two temples close by in Manhattan, and Washington D.C. It's only a two and a half hour drive to D.C. and about an hour and a half to New York. I actually didn't complain about the distance. I LOVE IT!! It really makes me appreciate the Lord, and the fact that there are other members in other countries who have to sacrifice more than we do financially in order to attend a temple. It also helps having kids who are great travelers. I'm so glad we started taking them on long road trips when they were babies.

We love attending all the temples on the east coast. We've been to Boston numerous times and the temple in our district is D.C. We LOVE the Manhattan temple and LOVE being surrounded by them. Soon we will have one in Philadelphia which will only be 20 minutes away!!! So there will be no excuse on my part or any mormon not to attend regularly! They've also announced one in Hartford, Connecticut. We have friends and family up there, and love visiting that area as well. How exciting for all of those members to soon have a temple close by.

Manhattan Temple in New York City


                                      Winter~2008                                            Spring 2010                

Boston Temple in the winter time and in the summer time. We LOVE going to the temples during both seasons in New England!
Spring~2011
Spring~2010

My Happy girls, Winter~2008
Me and my precious Noah, Spring~2011

My three girls, D.C. Temple~2007
and now there are four, D.C. temple~2011

 In the spring time they have the cherry blossom festival, and the cherry blossoms in D.C. are vibrant in color, and so beautiful. Going to the festival of lights at the D.C. temple during the holidays is another sight to see. The trees are all decorated with Christmas lights and it looks beautiful.

Since we moved to the east we have attended the Hill cumorah pageant in July, and always make an effort to attend the temple in Palmyra, New York. 
 Palmyra, NY~2009
Palmyra, NY-2010

Chelsea on the St. George Temple grounds, circa-summer 2006

I am so grateful to have a testimony of attending the temple on a regular basis. I see the happiness and glory on my children's faces when their dad and I say, "tomorrow we need to wake up early because we are going to the temple" (on a spontaneous day of course), or "Dad is off next Wednesday and we are all going to the temple." I know that they have that as a goal in their life. I know with how the world is today we all become BUSY in our lives and "think" we can't make time for the temple. There are times where we have had to sacrifice a night on the town, going out to dinner, buying that cute outfit or piece of jewelry I found on line even though it's affordable, just to attend the temple. We all have hardships in our lives with the way the economy is today. I don't want to ever use the excuse of "it's too expensive" to go to the temple or "it's such a long drive." The Lord KNOWS our needs and desires, and if we feel the need to attend the temple...HE will find a way to make it happen. I know this is true because it has happened to us many times. I cry every time the Lord has made it possible for us to attend, and I thank my Heavenly Father for allowing my family and I to be able to get to the temple safely, and do HIS work. Doing work for our kindred dead, and those who have passed beyond is ENDLESS. There is a lot of work to do, and I want to be a part of that work. 

**To learn more about temples click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment