REPLY

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Philadelphia Museum of Art.

When I was in the fifth grade I was in a club called U.I.L. picture memory. I'm not sure if any of you who went to elementary school with me would remember that club, but it was one of the best things I could ever have done in part fun, and in part to learn. Being in that club also helped me to cope with my surroundings as to how my childhood was like, and also helped me to develop a love for art at such a young age. 

I remember having to memorize paintings by Rembrandt, and Van Gogh, and Picasso to name a few. It was so interesting how i learned to distinguish which artist painted the portrati. One of my all time favorites will always be Lady With a Harp by Rembrandt . Every single competition I ended up winning and leaving with a small trophy or ribbon. I really loved that part of my life in elementary school, and so happy that the memory of learning about artists wasn't repressed. Art for me is like music for my kids. I love it, and will find opportunities to expose my kids to it every chance I get. We have been to quite a few museums since moving here, and how fortunate we are to have so many surrounding our vicinity. From D.C. to New York to Philly there are so many art museums to see. 
Last week the kids and I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It was our first time going, and I am kicking myself wondering why it took us eight years to come! It is so convenient, and there is always some art program to do for the little kids. 
We invited a friend of Lexie's from school, and he was really impressed with a lot of the exhibits. He admits he's not a "lover" of art, but appreciates it. I think we are all picky with certain art, and I'll admit I'm not too big on contemporary art, but sure do appreciate those artists in that genre. I'm an old school kind of gal who is into Monet, and of course Rembrandt, and Picasso. 

This museum is huge, and took us about three hours to cover. Noah was getting a little ancy, and because we hadn't eaten lunch was becoming more cranky. We covered the entire museum, but I didn't get to read all the details behind certain paintings which gives me an excuse to come back again with Jon on a date night. 

I took a few photos of certain paintings that caught my eye, and some just because the kids were so into certain paintings and sculptures. 
Lexie and Ben were impressed that I knew this sculpture by Degas. It's pretty popular, and if I could find a knockoff somewhere I'd have her in my home. 

 A few paintings by Monet. 

 These plates are so beautiful! 


 Lexie found her favorite. A picture with a Violin! 

 For some reason Noah wanted Lexie by his side towards the end, and so she helped me guide him. He was really good at staying behind the black tape. Well...sometimes. 
 And here he is guiding us as to where to go next with the map. 



 These are called the Constantine tapestries, and they are huge! 
 We were mesmerized by these swords! I can't even imagine having one of these being stabbed into something, or someone! They are so huge, and sharp! I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be living in the medieval times! 
There is an exhibit where I swear it feels as if you are in Rome, and naturally there are all kinds of roman sculptures with crosses. Very catholic, and gaudy, but some of the art is beautiful. 



Here is Ben with Noah looking at an exhibit filled with armor wear for Knights. Noah thought it was pretty cool. It was especially cool when one of the guards came up to him, recited some kind of oath, and after Noah agreed to the oath officially made him a "knight." 
We really enjoyed this museum, and like all museums always come up with some of the most amazing exhibits. We all had a great time, and it was so nice being with all these kids. Once again Noah just loves when there is another male around. I swear this kid needs a surrogate brother at all times. It was a great day, and we look forward to coming back again, and I hope it won't be another eight years when we do! 


Gracias por tu amor Philly! Thanks for the love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment