REPLY

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

It's National Library Week!

You'd think that because we are a family who loves to read, and frequents the library often that we'd know it's national library week. Well, we didn't. In all honesty I haven't paid too much attention to all things that are "national" but I am glad that we found out about it, and that we had some fun exploring the library yesterday. If you look at my instagram story (gotta click on my profile pic) you can see just how much fun Noah was having at being at the library. 

For some, going to the library can be boring for kids, and some parents may even force their kids to go because they are obligated to read a book for school, but in all honesty it can be really fun. We just have to find ways in making it fun. I don't have a system on how to "make going to the library fun" for the kids except to start taking them at at very young age, and read to them when they are babies. I also prefer having books in my house as opposed to tons of dvd's, and video games (which we don't even own because we have no game system), but if you have books all around the house, and in the car, I guarantee they will learn to love them, and eventually become voracious readers.
Noah loves to go to the library. He has been really good at reading a lot lately, and that makes me one proud mama! One thing I've learned with all my kids is to let them pick out which books they want to read. Even at Noah's age. This way it gives them a sense of independence, and that will also make them want to go to the library more. It is important to fumble through the book and make sure it's appropriate, but for the most part the girls, and Noah have always chosen to read really good books!
Noah has become hooked on the magic tree house books. He can read three of those in one day! I love how he was fumbling through the books carefully to decide which ones to read. He was hoping they had a specific number of the tree house books, and he found them. He loves all the adventures of Jack and Annie which is probably why he loves to go out and explore cities, and anywhere we take him. I can only imagine how his imagination flows as he's reading those books! 
He even wanted to get a cd. It's a good thing we are old school, and that we have a CD player where he can hear it! I'm not so sure about these goosebumps books, but after fumbling through one I guess it's an interesting read.
We were at the library close to two hours yesterday, and when we left Noah said, "oh my gosh mom. We were here for like two hours! That's long!" It made my heart happy that he said that with excitement. 
I know that by taking our kids to the library more often as in every single week that they will learn to love books, and become voracious readers. 

"Discover your passions, and achieve your goals at the library."
-Misty Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment