REPLY

Monday, April 23, 2012

Savor the moments

Sara Wells and Kate Jones were two other guest speakers at the Time Out for Women this past weekend, and they spoke about ways in how to simplify our life, and just be the "supermom" your kids already think you are. These two women are famous for their blog Our Best Bites, and have their own cookbook published.. It was so nice to have laughed, and cried while they were sharing some of their "supermom" moments about their children, and how important it is to never forget the little things that our children do in their lives.

One thing I have noticed about my friends on Facebook is how much they post photos and document their kids accomplishments, and I think that's great. After all...isn't that what Facebook is all about? I'm obviously one of them. I see the glow on their faces knowing that they are raising their kids right, and are succeeding well into their future.
Although the internet can be such a distraction there is a lot of good that comes from it. Things like documenting every detail of your childs accomplishments on Facebook, and if your a blogger (like me) you'll be more detailed in your writing as to the depictions behind the photos, what you were feeling at the time of taking the photo, and write how wonderful life can be with your children by living a simple, and "seeking the good" in family life.

Both of these women talked about how we should be focusing on the here and now, and to not look so much into their future. Sure it's nice to prepare them for their future, but to savor what goes on throughout their daily lives, and finding a way in remembering those moments.
These women are my kind of gals because they mentioned writing letters to your child no matter how old they are, and saving them for when they are older. Every now and then I'll write a little note to the girls on my blog, but I also did something different. I bought some small journals in which each day I will write something to each of the kids... along with a quote telling them how much I love them. There are days when my kids will do or say something funny that's out of the ordinary. At the end of the day I'll write down what each of my children did that day, and write down my thoughts on how it made me feel. Some of you may not be the writing type, and may find it time consuming, but I promise you that if you do this...they will appreciate it so much. 
Besides scrapbooking my kids lives, and a blog published book I want each of my children to have handwritten memories, and tangible photos. I want to document every detail, and savor each memory of them.

Blogging is an outlet for me in not only writing about our daily lives as a family, but my own thoughts as well. It's great and all, but I also want them to have something tangible that they can hold, and pass on to their posterity. Something that they will read, and while they're reading it say, "Wow, mom sure does love us, and their posterity will say, "abuela sure liked to write a lot!"


Enjoy the little things, for one day you'll look back and realize that they were the big things."
-Kurt Vonnegut

1 comment:

  1. i do the same thing with journals for my kids. i started it because i wished my mom remembered more of my childhood. hooray for writing!

    ReplyDelete