REPLY

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The day of your National Spanish Honor Society Induction

The National Spanish Honor Society recognized my daughter's outstanding achievement in the study of Spanish, and when I received a letter stating that Sierra got accepted into this prestigious society I was ecstatic! Mainly because she has come a long way in her Spanish speaking. 

Ever since she was little our main language in the house has always been English. I know...sad huh? I feel guilty because I am Spanish and know the language, but hardly ever encouraged my girls to speak the language. It's kind of hard when you also married "a gringo" who knows German, but doesn't really speak the Spanish language. 

Well, for the past four years we have tried to use it more in the home. Moving to New Jersey has given us more reasons to speak the language because there are a lot of Spanish people living in this area. Most of the friends I have met are from Puerto Rico, Honduras, Peru, Argentina, Guatamala, and Chile. Sometimes I feel as if I'm on a mission meeting different people from all over the world. It's been wonderful making friends with those who speak spanish. It's also given me more reason to not only speak the language more, but to appreciate it as well. 

Sierra and Lexie are the main kids that are learning it more, and when we start speaking Spanish among ourselves at home in front of Chelsea she'll look at us as if we are from another planet. She'll say, "I didn't know you speak Spanish!" She's so cute! Now that Chelsea can read and spell well she is aware that there are more languages in the world, and then she tries to speak Spanish. She hasn't quite mastered it. Not yet at least. We are slowly teaching her small words in Spanish, and I'm sure that the more we speak it in the home the more Chelsea, and Noah will understand it.
I know from experience that knowing a second language will be beneficial especially when it comes to finding a job. Employers love bilingual candidates, and it will also give you a boost in confidence knowing that you can speak another language.
Standing in line to await the lighting of the candle.
Reciting their accomplishments in the Spanish language.
It sure was a magical evening to have shared it with all the parents of Sierra's friends, and to have glimpsed a sight of their future. I pictured Sierra speaking, and teaching Spanish to other kids. It was a sudden glimpse, but more of a dream thought. These kids have so much to look forward to in their future. It's not easy learning a second language, but in the end it'll all be worth it.
Amber, Sierra, and Britney

I never studied abroad, and I know that is something Sierra would like to experience. Mrs. DiMaulo studied abroad in Spain, and her words of encouragement has given Sierra more of a desire to accomplish that goal. We are so pleased with Sierra in all the accomplishments she has done throughout her years in high school so far.

Keep it up Sierra, we are so proud of you! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment