REPLY

Monday, April 16, 2012

Fort Mott State Park

When I first moved to New Jersey I had questioned my new friends of what fun things there are to do here in the area. A sweet sister in the church gave me a pamphlet of Fort Mott state park, and told me that this was a place where children can run around freely in the park, and learn about history as well. I have always wanted to take the kids there, but just never put it on our "things to do in New Jersey" list.

Since it was our last day of Spring break I decided to take the kids, and check out this place. This is a hidden treasure along the New Jersey coastline, and while dad was at work the kids and I took the turnpike to Fort Mott. We got here within 40 minutes.

Just to give y'all an idea as to the history of Fort Mott it is an Endicott-era fortification, and was built as part of the federal government's late 19th century plan to defend the Delaware River. Yes...there was a battle and, because we all have a penchant for history the kiddos enjoyed themselves as if they were in battle.
Not crazy about Noah "trying" to point his finger like holding a gun...Chelsea too!
We enjoyed touring the remnants of this historic fort. It is now a tourist site, and as you can see there is a park near the Delaware river with a lot of open space. We absolutely loved this place!

Crazy girls with their karate kick moves!
It was interesting to have hiked all around this fort, and to read about the history of New Jersey native... General Gershom Mott who was a Mexican War and Civil War veteran.

We sure loved all this wide open space, and to see all of this grass was heaven (who cares if there were stickers!) It was so nice to have had the kids run around the park, and stare out into the river.
I dreaded this day coming to an end. The kids and I had so much fun, and we took the long way home. Next time we'll bring dad, and have ourselves a bbq picnic. Back to reality tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment