REPLY

Saturday, April 7, 2012

God is good.

photo by Mark Mabry
There is a dear friend of mine who works at the local post office, and every time I go I make sure I go to her counter. She is one who has uplifted me with her example in expressing her love for God. We don't go to the same church, but the most important thing we have in common is the fact that we both know that Jesus Christ lives, and we both have a strong love for Him.

First thing she'll ask me when I walk in is, "How are you doing Rose?", I'll say to her, "I'm doing alright...how about you?" Her response is always, always, "God is good girl...God is good." I have to admit that it feels as if every time she would say that to me I would have to think twice about her response, look at her, and then reflect at my life to see if God has been good to me, and you know what...He has.

He has blessed me with a friend like Cherie.

I first met Cherie almost three years ago, and she truly is another blessing of friendship. Like I've written in some of my past posts the Lord puts certain people in our path for a reason especially those to whom He feels we can relate to, and vice versa. This woman has a genuine love for all mankind because I see it in the way that she treats all of her customers. I hear in her voice, and I see it in her countenance. Everyone seems to know her by name, and every time I stand in line I observe others, and can tell that everyone gets uplifted by her presence. She's been working at the post office for at least eight years.

Her example of light makes me want to live my life as a christian even more meaningful. I don't even want to take the little things for granted. Each day we all seem to find a place where we can escape. Some of us may find it through exercise, reading a novel, shopping, or just going on a mini-vacation. All those things are good, and while they can be helpful it doesn't seem fulfilling. I still need more on top of those things.

L. Tom Perry gave a talk during general conference about how both of these books do tie in to one another. I have to admit I read the Book of Mormon more, but have really grown to love the New Testament. I want to read the bible in it's entirety, and gain more knowledge from it. They are both wonderful books, and I just don't want to open them up when times get rough. Even in my happiest moments I want to find time to read them on my own. I personally have set a goal to seriously study the scriptures as much as I can.
On the days that I don't read any scriptures I feel really worn down, and I tend to be a little negative towards many things. It's even harder when you find others in similar circumstances, and it makes you want to say to them...read your scriptures, and pray more! I know that if we continue to make time to read the scriptures, and do all the things that the Lord asks us to do He will be good to us...He will.

There could be someone in our life who makes the world beautiful just by being in it. I have shared The Book of Mormon with Cherie, and although she belongs to another church, she has a lot of respect for me, and my beliefs. I can see that she truly is living the way Jesus would want us to live. Her example helps me to not take my beliefs for granted. Especially the things that we are taught as members.

I have made such wonderful friends in my community in which exemplify that beauty much better than I think I do. Funny how they tell me that I make their day when they see me. Truth is they make my day, and it is always a beautiful one when they do.

That's a sign from God telling me He's been good to me...He's been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment