REPLY

Monday, April 18, 2016

Batsto Village.

When a friend of mine at church told me about a quaint place where you can go for long walks, and experience life in the 1800's I knew we had to go. Batsto Village is a historical site whose roots trace all the way back to 1766! My family and I are always amazed when we learn more about the history of certain areas in Jersey, and amazed at all the things that were done here. Sometimes I feel as if I was born in the wrong century, because little villages like this kind of make me want to live in that era. I first got a taste of this century when we went to Sturbridge Village in New England. I truly have developed a love for life in this era, and loved it when we went to Howell History farm as well as Palmyra in upstate NewYork where there is a lot of church history. I think that's why we frequent there every summer because the appreciation I have for that time is firm, and gratifying. 
It's hard to believe that this quaint little village was once thriving with shops. Lexie and I were talking about how life for us would be if we lived in this era. One thing for sure life would be simple, and there are times I wish we would live like the pioneers, and times when I wish I didn't. The feeling is all the same, and I just love learning, and exposing my kids to historical places like this so they can continue to appreciate how life was lived back then. 
Even though some of the shops in the villages were closed we managed to go inside one little shop, and so we quickly and quietly checked things out. Lexie is a sucker for antiques, and when she saw this huge teapot it made her smile. I snapped a quick pic after she quickly placed it down, and then Chelsea found this old looking toolbox. Thanks to her brother she can be a little tomboyish at times, and just liked the fact that it looked like a smaller version of grandpas. Most of the shops were locked so we couldn't go inside, but it was very interesting to see through the windows, and to just "imagine."
We walked all around the village, and took in the sounds of bees swarming around this tree which smelled so good! We took a little break underneath this tree, and just had to capture this moment. 
One of the kids favorite spots was the water Gristmill. I think the big wheel caught the kids attention, and the fact that it was used to grind wheat, corn, and other grains was so interesting to imagine. 
// and this water well that Lexie was having too much fun with. //
// Love this box garden. So perfect and quaint. Seriously need to do this in my little backyard! //
We then continued to walk near the lake where the sounds of rustling water were surrounding us. All Noah wanted to do was look for slugs, fish, play with rocks and sticks, and is now requesting me to buy him a magnifying glass, and fishing vest like his daddy's. I think that can be arranged. 
// Don't ask...Noah called this a wooden teepee. //

We continued to walk around, and as usual I'm trying to capture the beauty of it all through my iPhone camera! My family, the village, and this lake was such a serene moment for us. 
Jon was skipping stones with the kids, and I thought it was super cool when Jon made the stone skip in the water eight times. I've skipped stones before, but have never mastered even skipping a stone once! It was so nice to see the kids away from the world, technology, and to see them enjoying the outdoors. I love that Noah not once ever asked me if he could play on my phone, ever or complain about why we are here at this place where there is no playground. 
...and then they rested.
Noah really enjoyed walking running around the village, and to see him ask Jon to lift him up so he can see the inside of one of the shops where they used to repair wheels for carriages, and shoed horses made me extremely grateful. Grateful that by taking out our kids to historical sites, and get them interested about life in the 1800's has made them excited to go, and visit more places like this. His curiosity for "life", and of all the places we take him to grows deeper, and deeper as he gets older that once this place opens in May we are coming back so we can enter inside some of the shops to see people in action live as if it was 1766.
// Same for the girls...every shop, and mill we went to the girls were curious as to see what's inside. //
This day was too perfect for us, and as parents I'm so thankful for the opportunities to have places like this to go to in our neck of the woods so that we can continue to teach our kids all about how life was lived back in the good 'ol 1800's. 



No comments:

Post a Comment