REPLY

Friday, May 6, 2016

Being The Mom Through The Joys & Sorrows.

As I get older marriage, children, and motherhood becomes a different way of life. At least it is for me. I remember how simpler, and easier life was when the kids were little. Although we had some trials they were not as huge, and they just seemed easier to handle. But as you get older, we never know what life is going to throw at us. Illness, job loss, financial challenges as well as challenges with our children, and extended family members tend to become more prevalent as they get older, and sometimes can take a toll on us. One thing I know for sure that gets me through all the mundane is the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I'm extremely grateful for that. Because with God, everything is possible, and the fact that God, and motherhood equal each other makes my life as a mother a little bit easier. Without His guidance I honestly don't think I would have been able to handle all the hardships I've endured then, and now as a person, but most of all...as a mother. Especially in today's world. 

Another thing I'm grateful for is having my kids spread out in age. They are all five years apart, and in all honesty have never dealt with any stresses. I mean, there have been some issues, but nothing that this momma can handle. Because of their age gap I have five years in between each child to "recuperate"  after the oldest one is off to college, and so forth! For this purpose, I'm pretty happy that my kids are spread apart in age. Didn't even plan it that way, but I know that Heavenly Father knew I'd need those breaks in between kids so he sent me a child every five years! Every child is completely different, and with each one I have learned something different, and it's interesting to watch them grow and see them face challenges, and learn from the. One thing I've learned as a mom is that if we let them know how special they are, and teach them proper principles they will be able to handle any challenge that comes their way. They will know right from wrong. Especially if they listen to that still small voice.  

One thing I will say when I had my first child is that I was terribly lonely. I was 23 when I had Sierra, and although I felt as if I was old, and strong enough to raise a baby, I was kind of like a wimp in many ways. I never looked upon my mother, or mother-in-law, or any other mothers for advice. My mother was 1700 miles away when I had Sierra, and well, my mother in law must have thought I was super mom because she saw what a trooper I was while giving birth to her, naturally without any drugs. Sure she'd check up on me from time to time, but with her life at that time managing teenagers, and working full time I didn't really want to bother her, and so that made me even more independent (call it pride), and never called upon anyone if I had an issue. There were times when I didn't even want to go to church because I felt as if I didn't fit the mold, and even though I never lacked for friends I never called upon any of them. Even the ones that lived near by. I know, I was a pretty stubborn mom back then. Thank goodness for all those moments of hardships because they have made me into the mother I am today!

Now that I'm older and Sierra is almost 21 (yikes!), and all the other kids are getting up there in age I feel that I have learned so much throughout the past 20 years as a mom, and to finally having my boy which was my Jersey surprise has made me an even more stronger, and fierce mom. 

And so I say this to all the moms out there. No matter how old you are we are all on different levels of motherhood. Some of our challenges when its comes to kids are easier, and some of them aren't. Life with our children is what we make it, and and even though life may seem like rainbows and butterflies right now because our kids are little, believe me when I say this...the trials will come as they get older. If you think dealing with a crying toddler at church, or in a public place is tough. Try having your daughter crying because of a boy that just broke their heart. I'd rather go back to those days than to see what challenges my kids have to face today.  They'll be different, harder, and more challenging, but if you know who you are as a mother, and remember all the things that helped you gain strength, (whether it was your mother, grandmother, aunt, teacher, etc.) lock it in, keep it with you, and pass it on down to your kids. As long as you know that you're doing the best you can as a momma, then that's all that matters. All those sacrifices that you make on a daily basis such as not showering for days, forgetting to brush your teeth because of being a hurry to run errands before the child's nap time. Letting your kid have the last apple because pay day isn't until next week will all be worth it. You'll look back longing for those moments once they become teenagers. I know I do. Then again, it's exciting to watch our children become an adult, and handle their own problems knowing that they have the Lord to guide them through it all. 

God's children are the most precious gifts that Heavenly Father gave us. They are sons, and daughters of God. But I know this, as long as we stay focused on the Lord, and continue to teach our children how to love, forgive, and pray... all those sacrifices whether big or small will pay off in the end. And it'll all work out. 
I love being a mother even when life throws us those curveballs. But without those curveballs we will never learn to pick up the pieces. Granted there are days when I just want a time out, and be alone somewhere where I can read a book without any interruptions, but that's part of being a mom, and it's something that I have learned to cope with. Children come with interruptions, and I have realized throughout the years of being a mom that my time with my children is what's most important, and in all honesty if it wasn't for me having them I wouldn't be the person I am today. They truly make me a better human being! 

Also...this mothers day video really made me tear up! 

**Happy Mother's Day everyone!**

No comments:

Post a Comment