REPLY

Monday, March 6, 2017

What We Are Reading Lately, & A Dream Thought About Writing A Book.

It's been a while since I've written about what we are currently reading at the moment. I love, love to read but in all honesty time just slips away sometimes, but after realizing that we can make time, and that there shouldn't be no excuses to read. Because we can make the time to read. All we have to do is turn the tv off, stop cleaning, wait to run those petty errands, get off the phone, or internet, and just read!
And that is exactly what I've been doing. It also doesn't help when school is in session, and that can also take up a lot of time especially when you are carpooling, and volunteering at your childs school. Luckily I get to read to the kids in class! 

There are so many books I have listed on goodreads that I would love to accomplish reading, but that won't happen any time soon. I'll be lucky if I get to finish one book a month during the school year. I'm my own bookclub so this year I've made it a goal to read one book a month, and so far so good. I started out reading the Last Lecture in January, and oh man was that the most inspirational book I've ever read. Learned a lot by not taking anything for granted, and making time for those things that bring passion to your heart before we pass on! The Gifts of Imperfection was my February read and that was another great read. It taught me how to be even more courageous, and filled with worthiness because lets face it. How many of us as mothers feel as if we are not enough. Even at my age there are times when I feel as if I didn't do a certain part of motherhood right with my oldest. But then I realized that even though I feel as if I've worked through the difficult times, and I'm okay that I need to dig further deep into my soul to know that it's okay to be vulnerable at times, and to embrace our imprecations. Great read for all mothers!!

And thanks to Lexie's AP english class, this month I decided to read the book she bought called The Universe of Us. It's a book of poetry, and all about love. I wish i read these thoughts when I was a teenager, and I can see why Lexie chose to read this. Sometimes it's nice to go back to nostalgia, and think about all the "what if's." But at the end know that we are content with who we are, who we love, and that we can be strong, and filled with love. There are so many favorite parts of this book, and want to share one particular poem called Today. 


"Today I am not in my skin. My body cannot contain me. I am spilling out and over, like a rogue wave on the shore. Today I can't keep myself from feeling like I don't have a friend in the world. And no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to pick myself up off the floor. My demons are lying in wait, they are grinning in the shadows, their polished fangs glinting, knowing today, it will be an easy kill. But tomorrow, tomorrow could be different, and that is what keeps me going today."

How often do we feel this way. I know I do, and I love this one because it is so true. Days when I feel exhausted because of life. And although I love my life, there are times when the world gets in the way, and I have to fight off that darkness that tends to creep in. Especially when we are in the midst of a trial. But like the poem, there is always tomorrow. Because the tomorrows can be better than all the todays we had. 


And this one titled To Know Him.


"If you want to know his heart, pay close attention to what angers him. 

If you want to know his mind, listen for the words that linger in his silence.
I you want to know his soul, look at where his eyes are when you catch him smiling."

And one more called Choose Love.


"My mother once said to me there are two kinds of men you'll meet. The first will give you the life you want and the second will give you the love you desire. If you're one of the lucky few, you will find both in one person. But if you ever find yourself having to choose between the two, then always choose love." 


I can see why Lexie chose to read this book for her english class. It is teaching her more than I think I can teach her when it comes to boys! Sure I give her advice when a boy comes in the picture which has been rare for her since she began high school, but it's inevitable, and there will come a time when she will choose her eternal mate. If every young woman could read this book I strongly encourage them to read it, especially if you are dating someone serious. 

I'm so thankful for books, and for having kids who motivate me to read. I love that they always have a book in hand. It took Noah a while to grasp the understanding, and love for books, but thanks to our hero of teaching my child to become a stronger reader, Ms. Strobino, he is in love with them. Right now his books are of the same level, and he is almost out of the Dr. Seuss phase, but oh how I look forward to having him read Harry Potter, and The Hobbit on his own. I look forward to him writing more than one line in his journal more. I look forward to our library days. Such a wonderful feeling knowing that books exist, that there are talented writers out there who put pen to paper, or type on a computer to write their heart out about their passions, and what they feel. I personally love to write on this blog, and maybe someday I'll write my own story, but for now I'll read about others lives, and carefully gain guidance through certain writers as to how I would begin to write my own story. 
I will, however, will forever be grateful for this one publication I accomplished and for the editor who recognized that my words were worth publishing. 

Happy reading, and have a happy Monday folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment