REPLY

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

How My 7.5 Year Old Teaches Family Home Evening.

Now that Noah is an excellent reader, and getting old enough to understand why we have family home evening we figured out a way where he can teach a lesson that's simple, requires him to read, and relates to the gospel principles. My mother in law sent us this book for Noah's birthday last year along with some action mormon figures, and he loved it! It was a perfect tool for him to teach family home evening from, and now that he's much older he always, always wants to read from that book.

Even when we read scriptures as a family he'll pull out his book, and expect to read from that. I explained to him that we read from the book of mormon as a family, and that on Sundays he can definitely read us a story from his book for F.H.E. 
It has been an excellent tool for him to teach and a way to learn more about what happened with all the prophets. When we went to Palmyra recently we went to the book store, and he asked if we could buy him the second volume. I was so impressed that he asked us to buy that book along with some more action figures. He didn't want to leave the store. He absolutely loves books, and whether their books about Spider-man, or book of mormon stories he puts in the time to read from his book of mormon stories. 
I'm so happy that we continue to hold family home evening on a weekly basis. This is something that I didn't grow up with. Not because we didn't have it, but because I wasn't raised in the church. When I learned about what family home evening is, and how it can really bless you as a family I didn't hesitate to begin. Jon and I didn't hold it when we were a young married couple with Sierra, but when Lexie was born little by little we began to have it. It truly is something to commit to, and make time for. No matter how busy our lives can get we make time for it. Since Jon works every day we decided to have it on Sundays, and it has become a habit that we love doing. I see how much the kids enjoy it while they teach. We have all taken turns teaching, but lately it has only been the kids teaching the lessons. There are so many resources out there for the kids to begin teaching even at a young age. 
Here is a snapchat shot from our lesson this past Sunday. Lexie was assisting Noah with the action figures while he was reading the story of Captain Moroni. It was so sweet, and loved every minute of his little lesson. There was more on my Insta stories too. 
I  love how Lexie, and Chelsea taught their lessons when they were younger, and how they teach now is amazing! They have made so much progress, and prepare so well. It reminded me of Sierra too. She taught really good lessons, and I miss that. Family home evening is something that is really important to have in our family, and I try to not let a week go by without having it. Even though Noah is just reading stories from his book, it truly does have an impact on him. He'll ask questions from the story afterwards, and that is one way he learns about the gospel. I love that he is curious about each prophet, and what their role was in life. He may be a 7.5 year old , but his brain grasps on so well to what we teach him, and it definitely shows when it's his turn to teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment