REPLY

Friday, August 18, 2017

Spread Love With People Of Every Race.

Crazy things have been happening lately all over the news in regards to what happened in Charlottesville a few weeks ago, and with the recent events that took place in Barcelona. I didn't want to believe it. It's so heartbreaking, and sad. Now, I'm not one to talk about politics, or current events on line, or in a public forum because in our family we discuss matters at hand within ourselves.

What I do post on social media, and write on this small space on my internet are things about faith, and family. Joyful adventures with friends, and sometimes the nitty gritty that can come with life's struggles. But I feel as if I wanted to share some kind words, and the cruelty about what is going on in my country, and the fact that it saddens me urges me to speak out even more. 

One thing about living in the east coast particularly in the area I live in Jersey is that it is pretty diverse. I love how my kids have different friends of all color, race, and religion. I love that we live near cities where there is so much diversity where I can take my children, are fearless, and not in the least bias. We feel like we are in the United Nation when we go to New York listening to others speak different languages. It motivates me to learn a third language. All my girls are old enough to understand what racist, and what a white supremacist is so I don't worry too much about their feelings on that. They know that it's wrong, and are aware of what's happening on our own soil. They are accepting of everyone, and planting that seed at a young age of teaching them to love, and nurture that love has helped them to be accepting of everyone, and to be kind to everyone no matter who they are. 

Noah is almost eight, and his innocence is pure, and white as snow when it comes to kids of different color, and religion. He' so sweet, and always willing to make a new kid feel at home whether at church or school. He's just like his sisters. Very fellowshipping, and willing to take them under their wing. When we moved to this area he did question me why I couldn't  read a book about Easter at his spring party in his class. I carefully explained how we all have different beliefs, and how not everyone may be accepting of Jesus, and that we had to respect that. When he asked what the word respect meant I tried to answer him with the simplest answer, and that was to listen, and just treat them nicely without asking them why. I honestly was stuck in how to respond, and I think I got through to him well. He still wanted to give his teacher an Easter and Christmas gift anyway! When he did that I have to say I was proud that those who didn't believe in holidays didn't stop him from his own beliefs. Such a young age to be experiencing life in a world where there are so many different opinions, but at the end of the day, I tell him that we really are all the same, and that it's the choices we make that determine who we really are as a person. 

Having biracial children is not easy, and because I'm Mexican was always teased as a child. People thought I was mixed, and thought I was half black/half Mexican, and when I moved to Utah 20 years ago I got a lot of stares. Especially when I was dating white boys! A lot of people would ask what my nationality was at church and work, and I never took it personal. I actually took it as a compliment. People thought I was Indian,Tahitian, Samoan, or African American, and when I straightened my hair some even thought I was Asian, or from the islands. I am grateful for the roots where I am from, and proud of my heritage which is Spain. I am raising my kids to be proud of being a biracial kid and to embrace that. 

I pray for unity among the people in our country, and that we can all be more understanding, and kind towards each other. And less judgmental, and cruel. Our kids are the future, and they are the ones who are already caught in the middle of it. They can share more goodness in this world, and learn to love where they live-if we only just teach them to love one another. 


"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
~Nelson Mandela


No comments:

Post a Comment