REPLY

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Looking back at the simplest things

Simple summer pleasures are the best when it comes to your children. 
I hope they will always remember them and cherish them.
Chelsea catching a firefly-Early summer, 2010

It's hard to believe that today is the last day of August. I am getting a little bit emotional because this means that school resumes in less than a week! Although I love having my kids spend time with me at home...I am also ready for them to go back to school. As I reflect back on the things we did this summer, there is one small thing that we didn't do too much of...catching fireflies.

The first time we experienced catching fireflies was last summer. While my two oldest daughters were at the church attending their Young Women and Faith in God activities, Chelsea had the pleasure of running around chasing fireflies. Ever since then, I always looked forward to the end of the school year, because it's not too hot, and the weather is perfect for the fireflies to come out at dusk. It is one of our favorite things to do, and it's right on the top of our list with making smores.

It also made me feel like a little kid again.

 Once we saw them lighting up in our backyard the girls attempted to catch them, but the mosquitoes this year have been vicious, and the girls were not in the mood to run around to catch them. The fireflies seemed to be out in full swing one evening while we were once again waiting for our girls to finish up with their church activities. It was so cute watching Noah for the first time trying to figure out what a firefly was. Once he saw them light up, he began running around with Chelsea trying to catch them. They were having too much fun. We should have ventured out to the church more often at dusk this summer...we probably would have been more protected from the mosquitoes, hence catching more fireflies!

We always manage to do fun things with our kids throughout the summer. I love it when we do the simplest things such as catching fireflies and making smores in our little backyard. I am grateful that our kids don't expect the 'big vacations'. It's quite the opposite in our home when it comes to the word "spoiled'. It's definitely not our kids that are spoiled...it's me. I'm the one that always needs an escape from Jersey! Although we love to travel and drive to New York City just to have dinner...we try to live a simple life, and make our kids happy. Even though we missed out on catching a lot of fireflies this summer...I do look forward to September.

There's always next Summer.

*What simple things did you and your families do this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment