REPLY

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A broken dryer and a memory

My dryer just broke. It was a  Maytag, and it was given to us by my in-laws back in 2003. Before they handed it down to us it was almost ten years old...I think.  I don't have a clothesline in my back yard so I improvised. I had an extra shower rod which I mounted on the wall just until my husband puts up a clothes line out in the back. It works for now until we figure out whether our dryer is fixable or not. I actually don't mind hanging clothes out to dry. The weather has been beautiful thus far, and the smell of the natural air seeping through our clothes is a fresh one. I just hope our washer doesn't go out anytime soon.With four kids and a husband who sweats a lot due to riding his bike to and from work everyday (or at least until the weather gets cold)...my laundry is endless!!

Whatever the result will be I know it'll all work out! I am just grateful that I grew up hanging our clothes on a clothesline, and that I don't mind hanging our laundry out to dry. I'm not panicking. Maybe if it was the washer...I might panic just a little. If that happens I'll make sure to remind myself of the times my mother would wash our clothes on a washboard. I remember sitting next to her outside on hot days and always wanting to jump in the bin while she was washing. I remember how diligently she scrubbed those clothes on the washboard until they were squeaky clean. I remember all the strength she put in her arms and how she worked those muscles until there was no more washing to do. I remember having felt appreciative at that moment because every time my sister and I needed something to be washed...she'd get out the big round tin bin, washboard, soap, and start scrubbing. I did have some good memories when it was just me, my sister, and my mother. 

That was one of them.

Yeah..I don't think I'll panic now if our washer goes out.

*Did you have a parent who owned a washboard when y'all were little. Or am I just older than you!

**Just a quick update!! Our dryer is no longer broken! Something was wrong with the wiring in the house that caused the dryer to not work. It still works! Yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment