REPLY

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Making Music Part II

"Music must never offend the ear, but must please the listener, or, in other words, must never cease to be music."
~Mozart
One thing that is very consistent in our home is music. I hear it in the morning, I hear it in the afternoon, and I hear it in the evening. I even hear it in my sleep. I am not musically inclined by any means, but I LOVE to listen, and I mean really listen to the notes being played. The best part of listening to this music is that it is clean and uplifting. I am so pleased that I have brought something into my home that I was not raised with. Listening to my girls playing duets on the piano and violin brings a peaceful feeling into our home, and it feels as if the things of the world do not matter. Time stops and all I hear is the beating of that big box of wood, and the pounding of 88 black and white keys being played. It is a heaven on earth when I hear those sounds of music being played.
 Lexie's first violin teacher was a great violinist and played beautifully. She taught her for almost three years, but I felt that Lexie needed to be more challenged so I decided to find her another teacher. It was all in good timing because Sister Monson moved to Salt Lake City shortly after the transition, (I guess you can say it was a blessing in disguise.) We were lucky to have found another great violinist to teach Lexie over the summer. I'm sad to say that after teaching Lexie for three months, Sara will be leaving us. She will be going to NYU in a week, and is also training to play with the Philharmonic Orchestra. Sara has been an excellent teacher and has taught Lexie more during the summer than she has over the past three years. 
You can see the seriousness on their faces in these pictures. These two had such a great bond as teacher and student. Although they focused on improving Lexie's technique on holding the bow correctly, trilling, and teaching her to play challenging music...they also had fun at the same time. I find that it is important to build a great relationship with your teacher. They would bring laughter into the lesson as well as learning. I really enjoyed watching these two playing together. I hardly ever sat in on the lessons with her first teacher and I regret that. I wish I would have been more involved then, than I am now. I honestly believe that the parent should sit in on the lessons just in case there is something that you feel is not being taught correctly...especially if your daughter aspires to be a great violinist! I am so happy that I made the time to sit in on every lesson, pay attention, and take notes at the same time. You learn as you go from teacher to teacher. I should have read the book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother long ago!
Although Lexie is done with violin lessons for the summer she consistently practices playing her violin, and will resume lessons with Sara's replacement after school starts.

We feel really blessed to have found another great teacher for Lexie. She brought a lot of joy and learning into Lexie's life. But life goes on, and I know Ms. Sara will do well in playing with the orchestra, and furthering her education at NYU! 

Good Luck Sara...we will miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment