REPLY

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Challenges


I asked Jon the other day(since he was born and raised in Salt Lake City), why so many youth in the church in Utah rebel, and don't truly follow the standards and teachings of the LDS church. The reason I asked him this specific question is because he was one of the majority in Utah who experienced rebellion, and at one point in his life... didn't attend church too much as a teenager. He said that he wasn't given enough challenges, and because everyone was practically a Mormon it seemed that it was just part of being who you are.

He also said he had a choice.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are good LDS families in Utah who have raised great children, but I have witnessed some of the youth between the ages of 14 -18 (even those in their early 20's) who have the most wonderful parents, not follow the teachings of the church, and it saddens me. Having lived in many different states, I see it everywhere. It's not just out west. As much as I love the mountains, miss my husband's family, friends, and being so close to the temples....I am grateful to be raising my kids outside of mormon territory because they seem to become stronger when they are faced with challenges. They also appreciate the gospel more.

I have seen the youth in various states we've lived in go through more challenges. Some are strong in facing them, and some are not. The majority of the youth are strong. Fortunately for us, moving from state to state in the past 17 years has been a blessing. We have all faced challenges, and yet overcome them with faith and fervent prayer. Our kids face challenges every day. Especially when school resumes. It's not easy when you attend a high school where there are 1300 plus students, and only five kids are LDS. I believe the youth that live outside of mormon populated states have to work twice as hard to live righteously. We have seen our oldest daughter go through trials and when we talk about them, and I mean really get into a discussion about the situation, she becomes more strong and confident. As parents, we strive so hard to keep our children on the right path without becoming weary, and to keep that open communication active.

I know all about agency and how children have to govern themselves and learn on their own. But don't you think that as a parent, we should be there for our kids and constantly be a reminder to them that although they have a choice...they have a chance to make the right one from the start?

I've made a lot of poor choices in my life as a teen without growing up in the LDS religion, but by the grace of God he saved me from becoming a mental case. I was an inactive catholic who at the age of 16 began searching for a higher divinity. It's ironic how I was searching for that light of happiness at that age, and my daughter who is 16 already has it, believes it, and recognizes the light of Christ. I believe that I am who I am today because of what I have been through in my life. I've faced many, many challenges, and grew from them. I still face challenges today at my age, and although it can be so easy to just give up, to hate, not forgive, be depressed, and feel sorry for myself...I make the choice to be strong and fill my life with pure bliss.

It's been a little over a month since Sierra returned from EFY and she continues to be the best example to us all. I have heard the old cliche, "the youth come back from girls camp, youth conference, pioneer trek, EFY or any other church affiliated activity and their spiritual high only lasts for a short time." Not true. At least not my kid. I don't mean to boast but she truly has a talent for being obedient and at her age that can be rough. She is the key to having her siblings follow in her footsteps, we are the key for our children to follow our example, and Christ is the key for all of us to follow His.

I give thanks to my Father in heaven who guides and helps my children to deal and overcome adversity. I see in them a strength, an enthusiasm, that I didn't see in myself as I was growing up. They all go forward with faith and no matter how hard things in life become...I always remind them that they are children of God, that He is always there to hear their prayers, and that we as parents are always here to listen to them.

"One of the greatest challenges for all of us is to learn how to live in the world without participating in all that it offers. Worldly standards will always be in a state of flux. The only true and unchanging standards are those set by the Savior and His teachings of the restored gospel."
~Donald L. Staheli, Ensign Feb. 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment