REPLY

Saturday, September 22, 2012

ah, fall!

Instagram...isn't it great! Especially when the filters make a picture look like this!

Living in Texas for the first 20 years of my life experiencing nothing but summer all year round was normal for me, and that was the lifestyle that I had grown accustomed to...until I moved to the Beehive state.

Moving to Utah was indeed an eye opener for me especially when it came to the seasons changing. I've never seen different colored leaves except in picture books. You can imagine the look on my face when I first stepped out of that Greyhound bus to see snow on the ground, and the beautiful colored leaves when fall first arrived. Call me sheltered, but it's true.

I immediately fell in love with the mountains, and yes...even the snow.  Seeing the seasons change especially when Spring came along encouraged me to look forward to what autumn was going to be like, and I fell in love with it! Driving through the canyons where the foliage is more visible was illuminating.

Although we moved back and forth twice from Utah to Texas (I admit I was a little homesick) there was always something missing...especially when the holidays came.

That's when I realized that I didn't miss the giant Texas sized cockroaches or the fire ants, or the 100 % humidity in 100 degree weather. Living in Utah for the first five years of our marriage helped me to adjust to the seasons changing, and I missed that. It just didn't seem like fall existed in the Lone star state. That's because it didn't, and moving back to Utah for the third and final time was a charm. I developed an even stronger appreciation for the Beehive state, and all that it had to offer. I then vowed that wherever we moved we would always have the change of seasons, and so far we have.

While we only lived in North Carolina for two years we got a taste of perfect weather and a lot of pollen...especially during the month of May. It didn't snow as much, and while living in North Carolina we always drove further north to New England to visit family and friends, and also play in the snow. The fall foliage in that area is beautiful and far more vibrant in color.

Now that we live in New Jersey we don't have to drive hours to see the leaves change. We are spoiled no matter what direction we drive towards. Pennsylvania has the most beautiful mountains (okay I know they aren't like the mountains in Utah), but the Poconos will do for now, and autumn in New York is breathtaking.

I am so thankful for the courage that I had in moving to an unfamiliar state at a young age during the winter. I know that by converting to a life of Christ, and being close to the headquarters of the church I joined helped me to adjust a lot easier. I've always loved autumn in Salt Lake City, and I hope that Samantha Jane doesn't mind me using her photo so you can get a glimpse at how Temple Square looks like in the fall.
I love September.
I love fall.
I love the fact that I am an Autumn baby.

Now you can see why fall is my favorite, and why I will always live in a place where seasons change.

No comments:

Post a Comment