REPLY

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Love & hate on a mac

There are days when I wonder ,"Why did I even got a computer?" I have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate it merely because Chelsea always wants to get on it almost everyday, especially on rainy days, and guess who follows her like a little puppy dog to sit down next to her...Noah. I love it because the web does have some great sites that are inspiring, and I love to blog!

Ever since the iPad launched she has grown to love technology! Don't get me wrong I think it's great, but as a mother I know how distracting the web can be. It doesn't help when these kids have iPads at school either! That's a double whammy! Chelsea has the privilege of having one at school, and I think it has its pros and cons. I'm sure the teachers are aware of the time the kids use it. Her class won it last year, and they use it a few times a week.

We've had our mac for over a year now, and I love it! I have learned to have control in managing my time on it. I didn't have a computer as a kid so in some ways I am still getting used to having the kids get on it. Especially the little ones. It's a good thing we only have one...for now. I'm sure once Sierra goes to college she'll be in need of her own, and that's fine.

You'd think that my two oldest would be on the computer more, but they are not. All of my kids are pretty responsible, and will usually ask my permission to use it (it's in my room.) I appreciate that, and sometimes feel that I'm being too strict, but then I look at how other kids are on the web, and how some parents may let their kids get away with a lot, and we don't.

Well, thanks to Pinterest I found a solution on how they can manage their time wisely on the computer. So with summer coming up I found these technology cards for the younger kids so they can see that they only have a limited amount of time on the computer, and once all the holes are punched that's it for the week! You've used up your time. They have worked so far, and Chelsea really respects the fact that she has a technology card. She thinks it's pretty cool, and she always reminds me to make sure I punched a hole in her card after she's used the computer. Noah is still too young too understand what the card is for, but he sure knows how to use the track pad, and mouse.
You can get a free printable here.
I do see what sites Chelsea gets on and she'll get on abcyaPBS kids, or Study island. All of those are very educational for the kids. One thing I'm grateful for is they don't play any games that will fry their brain in which there is no learning. Once Noah is old enough to completely understand the pros and cons of the web he is going to have discipline, and I am not going to have him playing games all the time. I have had friends where they have had to literally shut their computer down for a week or two just to wean their 3-4 year old from it! That's crazy! I hope I will not be a mom that gives in all the time! My better half says "knowing the mothering you give...you won't!"

I have to admit I do love it more that I hate it. After all...times are a-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment