REPLY

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Curve those fingers!

"Music is what feeling sounds like."
Chelsea began playing the piano again last month, and it seems as if she caught on quickly than I expected. Well, lately she has been rushing with trying to learn to play the piano too fast (and believe me...she's going to begin to use that metronome more than her sisters did!) She has a penchant for memorizing songs as well, and feels that she doesn't need any music in front of her. She tries so hard to memorize the flashcards, and for the first two lessons she was mostly guessing them. I feel as if she knows the notes, but begins to act silly and then my testing of patience begins!

One pet peeve of mine (even though I don't play) is how one should curve their fingers, and Chelsea is having a hard time doing that. I have to constantly remind her to "curve your fingers, curve your fingers". I know that it takes time, and that eventually she'll get it.

I am not musically inclined in any way, and I'm just grateful she has two older sisters she can fall back on in case she needs extra supervision or has any questions. I need to get used to the fact that she is a completely different child when it comes to playing the piano. I explained to her teacher that her sisters... while learning to play were very good listeners, and didn't rush into playing. I swear they were both born obedient. Although Chelsea is a great kid and an excellent example to her classmates in school (according to a very recent parent/teacher conference), she is not that obedient at home when it comes to practicing.

Don't get me wrong...she loves the piano. Absolutely, positively loves it, but I think she is trying so hard that she wants to play like her sisters, and quickly rush into it so she can start cello lessons. Sierra and Alex were a quick study, and I know that Chelsea is eagerly, anxiously wanting to get to that point. I admire her for her ambition and in the goal she has set to play harder pieces, but she is learning that you cannot become perfect overnight!!! It will take years of lessons to play like her sisters.

I feel bad because sometimes I just want to pull her out of piano, and put her back in a dance class. It would be nice to have her sisters teacher her, and not waste my money. I don't want to put that responsibility on them because they are both at a crucial part in their academics. Especially Sierra. We've decided that we will all take the time to help her, and I in return am going to try to do my best to help her in any way. I will sit in and listen...I mean really listen while she plays, and thoroughly go over the assignment that was written in her composition book for next week's lesson. Even though I don't read music or play the piano, I will put 30 minutes aside for her, sit with her with patience, and help her the best way I know how.

She had a lesson yesterday and her teacher said she showed a lot of improvement on memorizing the flashcards, but still needs work in not rushing in playing the pieces of music. She's getting better at it, and before we know she'll be playing Bach pieces with beautifully curved fingers...I hope!

1 comment: