REPLY

Sunday, March 4, 2012

1720


Sierra & Lexie on a snowy day in Salt Lake City-2004
1720 was the place where we used to live in Salt Lake City where we all learned the true meaning of 'growing as a family in the gospel'. I only had these two girls at the time, and they always seemed to pick me up at my darkest moments, and make life living in Utah easier for me. It was the place where I learned to fall, and pick myself back up again. It was a place where I actually understood what it meant to be 'tested', and how to overcome it, but most of all learn from it. 

Everything fell into place when we moved into 1720. This is the one place where we learned to have hope, and develop faith through challenges. Living in Utah wasn't always an easy place for me to live. Probably because my faith in the gospel seemed to be more stronger than others, and I would get so disappointed when others of the same faith didn't live up to the meaning of 'living the gospel'...then again it's everywhere. Not just in Utah.

We moved back and forth three times in our married life since 1994. The third time we moved back in 2003 was a charm, and grew to love Salt Lake City. We had grown spiritually in the gospel, and moved into the right ward at the right time.

1720 was our refuge. It was our heaven on earth. We lived there for three years before moving to the east coast, and I don't think we will ever find another landlord as sweet as Mel. Mel was our surrogate grandpa, and he was the best landlord ever! He helped us through our hardships, and treated us like his family. There were four apartments to this building, and all of our tenants were also like family. Till this day we all stay in touch via Facebook. 

The ward in our boundary of 1720 was, in my opinion...the best ward I have ever experienced. I brought the spirit of the Lord with me, and learned to get along with all of my brothers and sisters. It was the first ward in which I began to attend the temple regularly. Regularly meaning twice a week. I loved everything about the area I was living in. The ward, the members, my neighbors. I learned that even though we were living in 'mormon central' that some of our neighbors were non-members. I loved that! 1720 gave me the opportunity to share the gospel in Utah. I didn't think I would have any luck, but I made many friends, and planted a lot of seeds. 

1720 helped me get out of my comfort zone, and to become even more outgoing as a christian. My girls being at such a young age were courageous, and learned to find balance through their passion with playing piano. I never had any problems with their upbringing (still don't!) They have grown so much since then, and both have a strong love for the gospel. 

Living at 1720 for three years flew by so quickly. I look back at those memories, and wonder how our life would have been had we not transferred to North Carolina. I know that Mel is no longer the owner of the four plex, and that the rent went from $500 a month to $800 a month! I know that there have been many recent changes within the stake. I still keep in contact with members of Richards Ward, and I am grateful for all of their friendships. We actually consider that our 'home ward' whenever we visit Utah. 

I am grateful for the calling that I had in the R.S. Presidency throughout those years. It really prepared me for those future callings that I have had since then. I am currently serving in the R.S. Presidency again in Jersey, and love serving my sisters. Having hope and faith is always the answer to any prayer. I had to learn the hard way in how to achieve that. There are days right now where I feel hopeless because life in Jersey isn't always peachy, but when I look back at those memories of 1720...I know that my hope will never be lost. I want to always have that hope, and have chosen to bring those best memories with me, and keep them close to my heart. 

Out of all the places of dwelling 1720 will always be my favorite.  If I could find an area, and a cute apartment with a loving landlord such as 1720 here in Jersey, I would move in a heartbeat. Except I don't think it would house a family of six, but I am grateful to be here, and to learn from the challenges that I am facing here now. 

Oh yes...I'm very grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment