REPLY

Monday, March 26, 2012

Sartorial elegance.

Love this color of my Cole Haan bag! Bought this at a thrift shop for $15.00! 
I'm a huge thrift shopper, and I feel very proud to know that I have, and am continuing to teach my girls to shop thrifty, and wisely. I hardly ever blog about the things I find at the thrift store except for the time I found these cool cherry rain boots for Chelsea last spring. I couldn't help but to blog about my most recent finds at a few consignment shops, and yes...even the Goodwill store.

With the way the economy is today it's always nice to know of where we can find hidden treasures whether it's for the home, or for the kids, and for a lot less! I wanted to share with everyone that we don't always have to shop retail, or feel the need to go to the mall. I personally have always been a thrift shopper, and one great thing I did learn from my mom was how to shop thrifty, and to learn to live with wearing second hand clothes.

Some of us may feel ashamed or embarrassed because some of the clothing we own are from second hand thrift stores. I'm not! If anything, it gives me pleasure to know that I have a knack in finding wonderful things for so less. I cannot even begin to tell you how many wonderful things I have found at thrift stores. I've even had a few friends ask me where I have found certain things, and I tell them at a thrift store. They usually have a shocked look on their face, and that's when they realize that they may not find the same exact dress, bag, shoes, etc. if they were to go to that same store. It's a hit and miss every time I go thrift shopping. Sometimes I come home with a handful of items, sometimes I come home with one, and sometimes I'll come home with nothing at all.

Lately I've been coming home with quite a few things. People usually start donating their items around early March, and I'm in desperate need of some "new" spring/summer clothes. I found this really cute Oilily cardigan not too long ago at a consignment shop in Haddonfield, and it's perfect for Spring. I only paid eight dollars for it.
 I love the pattern in the back as well as the birds on the sleeves.
My knowledge of knowing designer labels comes from the time I began working at consignment shops in Salt Lake City back in 1994. One of my favorite shops I worked at was Name Droppers, and that is still my favorite store. Unfortunately I'm 3000 miles away and can't physically shop there. The owner who is a dear friend of mine brings in the high end name brands, and as I saw what would come in is when I began to learn of the famous designers. When I go thrift shopping anywhere in New Jersey, D.C., Philly, or New York I try my best to find the designer brands first.

I have found other items that are not high end such as name brand clothing from Target. I love Target so it doesn't matter to me if what I found at the thrift store is Mossimo, Merona, Converse, or the Target collaboration brands such as Missoni, Isaac Mizrahi or Jason Wu.

This is a jacket by Mossimo I found at the Goodwill store for 4.99, and I love the color green!
I have to admit there will be times when I'll walk into a thrift store and if the price seems too high for thrift...I'll pass. I'd rather spend the extra five bucks, and buy it brand new at Target, T.J.Maxx, or even Marshall's.

I have been obsessed with denim lately, and found these three Tribal brand denim jackets. Price for all three? Guess...$15.00. Retailed at 78.00 (price tags were still attached), priced at goodwill for 9.99, and got them half price for 4.99! Yes... I was jumping for joy when I left the Goodwill!

I've become attached to the nautical look for spring. I found this cute navy/white striped hooded cotton sweater by allen allen, usa for three dollars! Perfect for those cold summer nights on the beach. It's really cute on with some denim or even white jeans!
One thing I am grateful for is that my girls don't mind when I find something for them at a thrift store. Sometimes it's hard to find modest clothing for my oldest who will be 17 in May. There are times when I don't find anything decent for her at a thrift store. Therefore we'll go to Marshall's, Target, and lately...Forever 21.

This is one of her favorite dresses that I found at Goodwill last spring. It's by Liz Claiborne, modest, timeless (which means it can be passed down to her sisters), and way cute on!
Nowadays it seems that everyone is into thrift and vintage clothing, and I love that!
I found this cute jacket at Goodwill. It's missing the buttons, and I plan on buying royal blue buttons to bring out the yellow polka dot. I think it's Anthropologie looking. I'm not sure of the label, but it does have a "sample' label inside which usually means it almost made it to a nice retail store.

It's easier to find clothing for my youngest daughter who is seven. I found this cute H&M top along with this skirt from Children's Place both under five dollars. I added a white petticoat underneath to give it a more flowy look.
I found the petticoat for a dollar at a garage sale! 

Right now with four kids, and one income shopping thrifty is the best way to go. Even when we had two paychecks coming in with one child (back in 1995) I've always shopped thrift, and obviously worked at a couple of consignment stores. Sometimes I miss that.

What can I say...I love clothes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment