REPLY

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

He is the way...thoughts on a testimony

Every first Sunday of each month at our church, for the first hour, we as a congregation have the chance to get up from our pews and step up to the pulpit to share with everyone our thoughts, feelings, and any experiences we have endured as to how the restored gospel of Jesus Christ has helped us in our life. It's called a testimony meeting.

Everyone's testimony is expressed differently, and each individual comes up to share something that some of us may need to hear. I know that I have benefited a lot from attending a testimony meeting as well as bearing my own testimony in hopes that others will heed my words...without being 'preachy'.

I love testimony meeting, and I think that my two oldest daughters have begun to understand and appreciate what a testimony is all about.

My eldest daughter Sierra will be 17 in a couple of months, and has been bearing her testimony every month since the new year began. I noticed that some kids begin to bear it at the tender age of three with the help of their parents, but I have made it a rule that if any of my kids want to go up to share their testimony that they must do it on their own motive without any help. So far all of them have done that (except Noah of course...he's barely two.) I know that Sierra's testimony is her own, and that none of it comes from me or her father. I'm sure that our example has encouraged them to stand up and bear it, but I also want them to learn on their own in knowing if what they are saying is true, and from their heart. I am happy to say that my two oldest daughters truly know what a testimony is. They continue to build their testimony by attending their meetings, reading scriptures on their own, participating in church activities, and attending the temple often.

Sierra's testimony every month is so unique.

This past Sunday was really touching because she talked about friendship. She expressed her love for all the youth in our ward, and is so grateful to know them. She mentioned that some of them have helped her in many ways throughout her 'years of high school' in New Jersey. I have to say that she is such a wonderful person, and has a good heart. She finds the good in everyone no matter their flaws. She is an example to me when it comes to finding the good in everyone. The way she expresses her love to Heavenly Father really makes me feel that she knows He is always there for her in times of hardships, and that He will never abandon her.

Alexandra just turned 12, and is getting the courage to stand and bear her testimony to others. It's always short and sweet, but oh... so meaningful. I can tell that she is growing spiritually through all that she learns both at home, church, and school. Both of our older daughters show me the example of unconditional love, and acceptance for everyone. Their example has really taught me to love, forgive, and accept everyone even more...no matter their flaws. I love them so much more for that.

I am a convert to the church and sharing my testimony is a crucial part of my life. I am so grateful that we have the opportunity to bear our testimony once a month at church. I pray that those who never get the chance to stand up to bear their testimony to please find the courage to do so. I find that when I do so it makes me a much stronger and more confident person. I feel that I can share the gospel with anyone and my feelings for Christ whether it's in person or on the internet. I encourage all the youth as well as the adults to find it in your heart to pray for confidence in bearing your testimony often. It will give you such a boost, and a strong sense of self both spiritually, and emotionally. It'll also give you more faith in knowing that the spirit will always be there to guide you in knowing what to say.

I share my testimony every chance I get. Especially in a public setting. If an opportunity comes up...I am fearless. I will voice the love I have for the Lord, and share this wonderful book that has truly changed my life. My days feel fulfilled when I wake up and start with scripture study. Even if it's just a couple of verses...I try to find the time to read it.

I also love bearing my testimony at church. I find that the more I bear it...the easier it becomes for me to share it. I personally cannot stand silence, and when there is a huge gap of it after one has gone up to bear their testimony that is God's way of telling me to get up and share! Oh...and then I feel that burning inside my chest feeling like my heart is going to explode! I know that's the spirit kicking me out of my seat telling me to get up. I see that as an opportunity to share my love, thoughts, and feelings for our Savior, his atonement, his sacrifice, the gospel, service, friendship, scriptures, trials, testimony, temple, humility, and yes...even my love for you in our ward.

There are so many things we can say in a testimony to express our love to the Savior. Heavenly Father is always listening to us, and I know that He will be pleased when we do so. Oh...and did I mention the blessings? Oh yes! I see the blessings that come from it when I bear testimony to others, and I never want those taken away.

Then again...
that's not why I bear my testimony.
I bear it because I know it's the truth,
and because I know...

He is the way back to eternal salvation...He is the way.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment