REPLY

Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Charity Never Faileth"...170 years

On March 17, 20 women gathered & heard the prophet Joseph Smith announce the official establishment of the Relief Society organization. Nearly 170 years later more than 6 million sisters around the world still strengthen each other & build the kingdom of God. (Marianne Holman, Church News)


There are moments in my life in which something is said that will spark a memory of my childhood. This evening was one of those nights. While gathering at the Relief Society birthday dinner this past Thursday with at least 50 sisters from my church I was reminded of what this organization is all about...love, friendship, and helping build the kingdom of God.

Throughout my young childhood I never noticed my mom hardly having any female visitors. I don't recall my my mother having many friends over. However, I do remember one friend in particular named Magdalena. I remember that every time Magdalena would call or come over and invite my mom out for dinner she would have a huge smile on her face. Each time she returned home from spending the day or evening with her she seemed happier, and less stressed. It was as if she had a lot to unload on her. The times she would leave our house after a two hour visit seemed like therapy for my mother. There wasn't any yelling or negativity in the home on the days my mom would see her friend. I know that the bond of friendship my mother developed with Magdalena helped her in many ways. My mother found her inner strength while building her friendship with this woman, and helped my mother withstand all the trials in which she were to soon face. Magdalena was a blessing of friendship in my mother's life, and she helped my mother's light shine.

Celebrating the birthday of Relief Society is something I always look forward to every year. It's all about the sisterhood, and all that we can learn from each other. I love that we all are so very different. Different in ways in which we can all strengthen each other. Different in ages in which we can all learn something from one who is older. Different in color in which we can all learn something from our cultures, and appreciate each other's origin, and yes...even different in religions. Having non members come to our activities is a sure sign that they are there to get the feel of what our faith is all about.

We can learn from those who are investigating the church as well as those who have just converted to the church, and we have had new sisters who have been baptized within the past three years. It brings me joy to see faces that I haven't seen in a long time.
There were lovely testimonies said tonight by a few sisters in how Relief Society has blessed their lives. They all have a testimony, and understand the importance of what Relief Society is all about. They each glow with the light of Christ in different ways. We are all individuals with unique talents in which we can share with one another.
It has been so wonderful to see certain sisters whom we haven't seen in a while who have come back to feel the spirit again, and for us to see the light of Christ in them.

 Inviting the young women to be a part of the celebration was fun. They are the future generation of a sisterhood in which even at a young age are fellowshipping, and sharing the gospel.
our lovely young women...including my daughter
I'm grateful for my membership in the church, and to be a part of a loving organization in which we have a purpose. A purpose in which we are in to build friendships, to fellowship, to love, to help, to seek, to serve, and to help build up the Lord's kingdom.

I'll always remember my first day as an investigator in Relief Society. I was 20 years old, and I felt so loved. Although I felt a little nervous in the beginning not knowing what I was about to learn, I am grateful for continuing to seek in having my faith grow towards the Lord and to have participated in all the Relief Society activities to be spiritually fed with the sisters.

I learned a lot as I attended my meetings which led to my conversion. I pray that the things that I'm doing at this point in my life up until today in striving my best to help my sisters will prove to my Heavenly Father how much I love him, and how much y'all mean to me. I love all of you. I continue to think of all my other sisters from the various wards I have lived in the past.

Always.

So I say to all my sisters near and far, whether you are of a different faith...may your light always shine with the love of Christ, so that others may know of our love for you. May we always help those in need, and may those who call upon us know that our light will never grow dim in serving them.
"This great circle of sisters will be a protection for each of you and for your families. The Relief Society might be likened to a refuge-the place of safety and protection-the sanctuary of ancient times. You will be safe within it. It encircles each sister like a protecting wall."
~Boyd K. Packer

No comments:

Post a Comment