REPLY

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The temple, and mommy mantras.

Reasons why I attend the temple are to make my weaknesses become strengths, to be humbled, to pray, and receive answers to my prayers. It helps me to be at peace, and overall a much more happier person. It really does help, and I feel like as if I've been cleansed from all the wickedness in the world. Still...no matter how many times I go that darkness tries it's very best to creep into my soul.

The darkness I'm referring to is the opposite of the light of Christ.

It never fails that when I have returned from doing something so great that comes from the Almighty that darkness of depression & anger tries it's very best to creep back into my life. It literally works hard by ruining my spiritual high that I have felt so far this whole month. Ruining it by picking at those things the adversary knows will get to me. Ruining it by trying to make my minor trials harder, and by having my youngest daughter get the best of me by trying my patience, and the end result is raising my voice at her. I don't like it! I don't like it one bit!

I look at the background of my life, and as a believer of Christ I look at all the things that I am doing that I have worked so hard to accomplish in being a humble servant of the Lord. I ask myself questions wondering why this happens when I've had amazing spiritual moments, and without making it sound like I'm checking off a to-do list...I feel as if I'm doing everything in my power to live righteously.

Pray my heart out to Heavenly Father at least twice a day for my life, friends, the world & my family.
Attend ALL my meetings, and worship the Lord.
Serve my fellow man, and help others in need.
Read my scriptures by myself & with my family.
Hold our weekly family home evening (even if it's on a Sunday.)
Pay tithing.
Share the gospel.
Visiting those from the church, and other friends in my community that may need help.
Attending the temple as much as I can.
Nurturing and raising my children the best I know how.
Supporting my husband in all that he does including his calling as Seminary teacher in the church.
Doing my church calling to the best of my ability.
Forgive.

I'm sure there are more things I can add to the list that are pleasing to those I love especially to my Father in Heaven. My better half tells me that I have a choice to allow that darkness to creep into my soul.

He's right.

I do have a choice as to how to handle a sassy, overactive child who wants to grow up way too fast! I have a choice to choose a discipline action that won't require any kind of abuse, or harmful words. I look back at how I was raised and remember how the back of a fist hurt when it hit my back. How the verbal abuse can be just as harmful as the physical. I don't ever want to relive that in my home. I don't want to have any of my daughters or son learn that behavior. I remember the pain I endured, and how it felt to hear hurtful words, but yet have so much love for my mother, because after all...she is my mother, and all has been forgiven.

The family home evening lesson Sierra chose to teach was exactly what I needed to hear. To set a goal in which you want to do better. Improve on something that you want to achieve in your life, and strive hard to LIVE it on a daily basis. I chose to read my scriptures everyday, and I mean study them so hard that I'll be reciting them in my sleep. I also think of a mantra such as "within me is a peacefulness that cannot be disturbed." I reflect that as being the spirit of Christ.

There is a book that I read a while back called Mommy Mantras, and every now and then I reflect back on it. It has really helped me in dealing with my youngest daughter. One of the mantras in that book that I remember reading, and have been constantly saying is,"I can stand this" before reacting to my sassy child. Although Chelsea can be charming in a public setting she can be a spitfire in the home. I have to remind myself that she is has a different personality, and that I can't compare her to my two oldest daughters. They all come down from the spirit world with their own personalities.

Looking back at my childhood gives me the chance to change the things in how I react when Chelsea is giving me a hard time. My poor mother obviously didn't think of any mantras, and unfortunately would react to our disobedience rather than tolerating it, and just leaving the room. I am so grateful for those mantras, and for the temple that helps me to overlook all the odds that we are against in this world when it comes to our family life. I know that I can stand it because when you look at the big picture of a family, you don't have a choice. I am a mother, and mothering comes with obstacles that we are going to have to face, and work out in a positive and calm manner. 

I love my children, and want them to know that they can always feel safe, and secure in their home. I don't ever want to hurt them in any way that could scar their future. I love them so much. I love them.


"That is why the mantra "I can stand this" is crucial. Try to ameliorate the stress-provoking situations, but let's face it, mothering has its share of things we just have to tough out."

The best thing about the spirit of Christ is that He guides me with more blessings, and helps me focus on looking more at the positive things that the temple brings rather than allowing that darkness to creep in.  How grateful I am for prayer, and for the strength that I have had to be able to recognize and try by best to avoid negativity.

Our lives are not always harmonious, but boy do we try to live in harmony, and when we pray hard enough to fight all opposition...all is well.

All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment