REPLY

Monday, March 19, 2012

Scenes from RENT


When I first heard that this year's high school musical was going to be "RENT", I have to admit I didn't think it was appropriate for the kids, and I didn't want my daughter to be a part of it. I wondered how they were going to pull this off with all of the drug, gay, and aids scenes that are entailed in the show. After some serious thought, and having watched the movie back in 2004...I remembered the challenges behind the story, and how it truly does define the meaning of unconditional acceptance, love, and friendship.

Apparently we are one of a very few high schools in the nation currently staging this production. Luckily it's the high school version of RENT, and let me tell you...they really pulled it off!

This show was amazing!
Mimi and Roger-"Light my candle" scene
This year Sierra wasn't interested in auditioning for a role, and wanted to try something different. She wanted to be a part of the musical, but didn't want to 'act' so this year she was part of the stage crew, and was in charge of the stage lights. She was happy to have experienced this part of the job other than 'acting', and says that she will definitely try out for a part in next year's musical.

She'll be a senior! Yikes!!!
Stage crew
RENT was done very tastefully, and I became quite emotional while watching certain scenes of the show. I was so impressed with the talent that was portrayed from these students for three nights in a row. It is amazing what all these kids brought to the stage. Although these kids are between the ages of 14-18...I didn't judge their acting, or them in any way. They were definitely in character. Their singing voices were amazing, and they all harmonized so well when they sang "Seasons of Love".

Mark and Roger  "What you Own" scene 

r
"Roger"

"Mark Cohen"



Mark, Tom, and Angel
Mimi and Roger
Sierra with "MIMI"

I am so glad that we went to see this performance. It reminded me to be nonjudgmental towards those who live a different lifestyle. We are all Heavenly Father's children, and no one is perfect. When you look past those gay, drug, and aids scenes this show really is all about love, hope, challenges, and bringing all of those whom you love back into a bond of a friendship.

Now...if only everyone could do that in the "real world". 


"There's only us,
 there's only this
 forget regret,
 or life is yours to miss.
 No other road,
 no other way,
 no day but today."

No comments:

Post a Comment