REPLY

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Arise and shine forth.

Last Saturday was the Young Women General Conference and each year just keeps getting better and better. Last year it was just Sierra and I, but this year I am lucky to now have two daughters coming to attend. Alexandra has been looking forward to this conference since the day she turned 12. It was so nice to have seen so many sisters and daughters hand in hand sitting together conversing with one another. This moment is one of my most favorite moments in the church because it's an opportunity to be with my daughters and grow with them spiritually in hearing the words of the General Young Women Presidency

Growing up as a youth I didn't have the church, or anything to guide me spiritually, and I didn't have much guidance from anyone as far as setting goals for my future. The youth of the church today are so fortunate to have programs in the church in which they can participate to learn and grow in making the right choices in this life. They all have the gift of agency, and the gift of the holy ghost to guide them in making the right choices in which can lead them to eternal happiness. 

Living the teenage years is not easy, and some of you may feel a little overwhelmed at what the future will bring. But I do know that if you pray and strive to live by the standards in which you are taught, your direction in this life will be much easier. I know that the Lord blesses those who keep their values strong, and holds their morals in a way that is respecting not only to yourself, but to others as well. 

It took me 11 years to hold a temple recommend. It was my stubborn choice, but I am glad I went through at the time I did. My hope for you girls is that y'all will let your light shine brighter than mine did when I was your age. Y'all have a chance to do it right. You have a chance to live up to your standards because of what you are learning in the church as well as when you pray to your Heavenly Father. You have a chance to make a difference in this world because y'all have the gospel. Y'all have a better chance at fighting all opposition because you know how to pray, serve, and attend programs like seminary, girls camp, youth conference in which helps build your testimony. 

I am grateful for the young women program in the church, and for the strength of youth handbook. It truly is a guide for all the youth to remember their standards, and to keep their values high. Although I would never exchange my youth for anything I'm grateful for all that I went through because it has made me the woman I am today. I'm grateful that y'all have the spirit to guide you in a direction that will help you to avoid all the temptations of the world. Y'all have the gospel of Jesus Christ in your life, and are extremely fortunate and blessed to have it. 

Follow the words of your young women leaders in the church. No matter how trite the words"live up to your standards" become to you... continue to heed those words in hopes that it'll sink in to your heart. Most youth today "don't get it", or they don't care to get it, or they just don't have a firm belief foundation that when you follow the Lord's commandments better things come your way.

God Bless all the young women out there who may be struggling with any kind of issue in which they know may be wrong. Keep praying for the strength to overcome all temptation. Determine to remain virtuous and pure.

I didn't understand the concept behind the young women program until I had a daughter involved in it. Now that I have two daughters who are in the young women, I know now how to encourage them to stick to their standards and keep them high. I pray that they will attain their most spiritual goals as well as their temporal goals. Something I didn't achieve as a youth in my generation. May you continue on to get the highest education possible, and in due time receive the blessings of the temple. 

"The call to "arise and shine forth" is a call to each of you to lead the world in a mighty cause to raise the standard and leave this generation in virtue, purity and temple worthiness. If you desire to make a difference in the world-you must be different from the world." -Elaine Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment