REPLY

Friday, November 27, 2015

Thanksgiving Day 2015.

This is the second year in a row where we didn't do a thanksgiving dinner. The fact that we have no immediate family around gives us an excuse not to cook, and venture out to the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, and to spend the entire day in the city. Our kids have enjoyed going to the parade since the first time we went three years ago. I'm not sure we've made this a permanent tradition because there are years when I would love to invite a family, or someone who's on the same boat as us with no family around over for dinner. I know how it feels to be without, and to eat alone around the holidays. Those were the years when I was a young single adult, but now that I'm married with children I don't mind having our own little gathering, and just doing our own thing. We are that bonded as a family. Still...one of these years I would like to invite someone over who may be feeling alone on the holidays. Time will tell, but the kids are totally hooked on going to the parade every year, and in all honesty I can't say no to them because Jon and I both love going too!  

Lexie loves to see the marching bands that are performing, and of course Noah and Chelsea look forward to seeing which cartoon characters will be floating around Manhattan. There's something about seeing it live, and taking in all the excitement from the crowd. We always end up making new friends when we go. It's interesting to know how far families, and people travel just to see the parade. When I tell them we live in Jersey they say how lucky we are to live so close to New York, and to be able to expose our kids to diversity, and culture. I have to agree with them. As a youth I didn't go anywhere, or experienced any real family outings. I feel so fortunate to be able to do that with my kids, and no matter how old they get we will continue to explore with them. 

When Sierra saw my snapchat and saw that we went to the city she truly missed it, and misses hanging out with us. We face timed as soon as we got home, and we all talked about our thanksgiving day. I'm so glad she is with family, and that she's always had a nice holiday since she moved out west for school. Truly grateful for my in laws to take her in, and treat her like their own. The fact that my mother-in-law raised four boys, and one girl makes her extremely happy to have another girl in the house. We sure do miss her, but know that she is where she should be, and luckily she has time off from work so she can come out and visit us during the holidays as well as after the new year before she leaves for her mission. 

The weather was a perfect 61 degrees, and we stood comfortably warm among the crowd. Last year it was freezing, and towards the end of the parade snow flurries began to fall. So this time around we took our time, and walked around the city to window shop, and see all the decorations that surrounded fifth avenue, Radio City, and Rockefeller Center. 
Here are a few photos from the parade leading up to the end of the day...

This year they had scrat, and his acorn. The kids love the movie Ice Age so seeing this balloon was a real treat for them! 

I didn't take too many photos because I wanted to notice, and take in the feelings of the parade, and the city. If you take a gander at this post, you'll see how I captured so many photos of the parade. It was our first time taking my dear friend Maggie so it was mandatory to take all those photos! 
After it was over we walked towards fifth avenue, and saw the tree at Rockefeller Center. Super huge, and looks so dull when it's not lit! I just love the decorations they put out there. 
^^^ The angels and the tree in the background make a perfect backdrop for a perfect photo. As you can see there was room for my Sierra had she been here! ^^^ 
^^ When in New York it is a must that Noah eats a hot dog, and a pretzel. This kid just loves new york dogs, and pretzels. I have to say I don't blame him. They truly taste better than your regular store bought dogs. That and the pizza alone are the most delicious here compared to anywhere else! ^^^
^^^ Noah just strutting in the middle of the street after the parade. ^^^ 
We couldn't leave the city without venturing out to Central park.

The granite slide has become the kids favorite attraction, and if you look at this video you'll see why!  We could have stayed here for hours, and the kids could have played for days, but darkness was falling, and it was time to go home and have some grub. 
It was such a beautiful day, and as much as I complain about the little things, I am well aware of how much to be grateful for, and strive to find joy in the beauty in all things. 

So grateful for this day, and to be surrounded with my favorite people. I sure do love my family so, so much. I wish we could have more days like this like before the kids grew up! Spending it with them 24/7, but now the kids are no longer little. That is except for Noah & Chelsea. They grow up, get busy with school, and eventually move on their own, but luckily we have technology to stay in touch. I cherish these moments whether my kids are six, or 20! I count my blessings every single day, and I truly love my life. 

No matter the ups, and downs, I truly love my life! 

Whether or not y'all celebrate Thanksgiving I hope it was a great day for you, and that you are ready to kick off the holiday season! 


No comments:

Post a Comment