REPLY

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Litte Christmas Story In January.

Even though Christmas already happened last year, and today is the last day of January I wanted to share a little bit of our Christmas morning from 2017. Little moments like this is what mean the most and because it was the simplest Christmas we've ever had wanted to write a little bit about it. After all, I write for many reasons, but mostly for my posterity, and want them to read why this particular holiday was simple, and sweet! Oh yeah, and why they didn't get so many gifts

There were only five things Noah wrote on his Christmas list. A plush Santa, a plush elf on the shelf, dog man books, last knight transformer, and a polar express train set. Because his list was simple, easy, and short he received all that he asked, and with a grateful heart. He was so excited, and didn't care about getting more toys. He's getting older, and is beginning to read, and draw more. Since he's not allowed to touch Miles the elf he was happy to have his plush elf and to till this day continues to sleep with him. He played with his train for an entire month (thank goodness for Duracell batteries), but alas we put it away last week, and I know when Christmas comes in 11 months that he will be excited to set it up again under the tree again. I also realized that having his train circled under the tree is a good excuse to not have many presents either! Hee hee!! 
Family gifts are the best and one game I recommend playing with the family is Oh Snaps! It's such a fun game, and we all had fun playing. Noah was especially excited when Lexie opened it! 
The girls mainly helped Noah with his gifts, and don't worry they all got a little something from us, and they usually make gifts for each other, but luckily they have an amazing aunt, and grandparents who give them the world. 

So I want to share the reason why I don't give too much to my family is because we were too involved in giving to others. The Light the World campaign is so awesome that we couldn't pass up opportunities to give when we could. It always feels good thinking of others, and it was a great experience for Noah. This past year he has begun to really understand what it means to give as opposed to receive, and this little list that he printed out to "light the world" got him super excited to want to share his kindness with others. 
I think with the way the world is today everyone can use a bit of kindness, and it doesn't have to be a worldly gift (although those are nice too), but a gift as simple as a smile, or a Christmas card can mean the world to someone who is sick, or alone at Christmas. I love randomly doing acts of kindness. We need not to spend a whole lot of money to do small acts of service. It feels good, and it teaches our children to be compassionate, selfless, and thoughtful. 

I love the fact that our church has this campaign, and every year we will be doing it. One doesn't have to wait for the holidays to light the world for someone, and it is something that is fun to do all year round, but Christmas is my favorite, and I so look forward to the holidays specifically to light the world for others. 
Christmases like this are not only non stressful for me because I'm not out and about breaking my brain as to what gifts to buy, but it lights up my world knowing that I can do this with a grateful heart. Time spent with my family and friends during the holidays are important to me, and I'm able to do that without breaking our bank account and worrying about time! It's the thought that counts, and that's all that should matter! 

Hope you enjoyed my little recap of our holiday, and that everyone continues to enjoy the new year! Can't believe tomorrow is the first day of February! 

No comments:

Post a Comment