REPLY

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House.

One of my favorite books growing up was Little Women. I remember wanting a copy of it, but because we didn't have a lot of money never owned it, but when I got older bought a copy of my own, as well as buying the dvd. There are so many renditions of that movie, but my favorite 'dreamy' version is the one with Christian Bale, and Wynona Rider. I absolutley fell in love with that movie, and pretended I'd live in that time simply because of how Louisa was raised, who she was, and how she became someone well known through her writing. 


One of the fun outings we did this past weekend while in New England was going through a tour of her home where she wrote, and set Little women. We  her home. We learned all about how she grew up, and life with her sisters. The fact that I have three daughters brings a smile to my face. I can't even imagine raising four daughters in that time with all that they were each going through individually. It's wonderful to read about such strength, and determination about a woman who put pen to paper and wrote stories. 
We weren't allowed to take photos inside the home, but I will tell you that it is beautiful. Old, but beautiful and I would tour it again, and again. 80 percent of the furniture, and items are authentic, and from that time. Noah and Chelsea were interested in all that the guide was talking about and had their listening ears on. They even had a few questions afterwards. I love to see my kids engaged in learning all about history, and how it was to live in a time where times were different for women, and tough for families. 
At the end of the tour we signed our family name showing that we visited here, and how we felt about it! 

I took a few photos on the grounds, and in front of this house where her father taught kids to read and write. 


So happy we got to tour this historical beauty with one of my daughters. Next time when Lexie and Sierra are in town we need to bring them here. Especially since Lexie was in the drama production in high school!

1 comment: