REPLY

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

BYU Bound Part II

"Learning is their journey. Let them navigate. Push them to explore. Watch them discover. Encourage their questions. Allow them to struggle. Support their thinking. Let them fly." 

I saw this quote online the other day, and it struck me. I have no idea who the author is, but it sure is fitting for anyone who is spreading their wings, and heading on to a new chapter in their life when it comes to education, and learning new things.

It has almost been a month since Lexie started school, and so far she absolutely loves it! I see it in her texts, I hear it in her voice when she calls which is not very often, but when she does I don't mind it one bit! I can tell by the way she sounds that she is excited and focused, and always looking forward to whats next in her class. When we spoke the other day she told me how excited she was to have a test in her chemistry class. (update: she called over the weekend to tell us she got an 89!)

She loves the little job that she has. She loves the theatre, and helps out with the stage crew, and greeting people as they enter in. Since she's an honors student she doesn't work many hours, but just enough to fill in some of those extra hours when she's not busy doing homework, or studying. 

She made time for the temple last week, and wants to make it a goal to attend once a week. Since she lives a mile from campus, and lives five minutes from the city center temple, she attends that one the most. She doesn't have a car so it's a 25 minute walk for her, and she doesn't mind. 

It brings me comfort to hear it in her voice that she genuinely enjoys her environment. Her roommates, and you know how sometimes that can be hard, but she gives everyone the benefit of the doubt, and is tolerant with the boys who use cheesy pick up lines to ask her out. She cracks me up, and just laughs it off every time a boy behaves that way. She's tolerant, and tough in her own way, and because she has learned a lot from me, and her sister as to what we've been through in our lives when it comes to males, I believe that her judgement is clear, and that she will avoid the things that appear to be "not good, unclean, and not smart."

As much as I love my kids, I don't want them to leave the nest, but there comes a time when you have to let them go. Not completely, but just enough to the point where they will discover new things, grow from their challenges, and learn on their own without having a parent to help them. This is my second time doing this, and it doesn't get easier. 

I still remember the time I took her and Sierra on their first day of kindergarten. It's surreal that I have a second child in college now. One thing I know for sure is to always stay on the positive side of things, and whenever we talk to always offer words of wisdom, and advice. Nothing extreme, but keeping it simple is how I get through my girls starting college. 

One thing for sure is that I never hang up the phone, or leave a text without saying or writing I love you, and I pray for you daily. 

Yeah...I think that's how they get through their day, and so far Lexie is doing great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment