REPLY

Monday, September 12, 2011

In memory of a Loved one

"A daughter needs a living, available, predictable father or father figure who can be counted on."
~Victoria Secunda

Twelve years ago my mom had finally met the man of her dreams...and mine. He was a man of faith, courage, and integrity. He never yelled, raised his fist, or verbally abused my mom. He truly was one of a kind. I could talk to him about anything, and no matter the distance...he was always there for us in times of need. He was the type of person that would take his shirt off his back for anyone! He was the father figure I never had. It's sad to say that this loving, caring, and most amazing man passed away right in front of my mother's eyes this past Saturday morning.

I loved Joe and so did my family. My daughters were crazy about him. He always made us laugh and was so full of energy. He treated my mother like a queen and gave her everything she desired. He and my husband got along so well. I think it's because they were both with women who had the same qualities, (I am my mother's daughter!) I wish we could have had one last chance to see him, but my mom told me he wasn't himself, and that I wouldn't recognize him if I had. He was frail, fragile, and lost so much weight due to his diabetes. He had a weak heart and it never got fixed. His heart just stopped as he took his last breath that morning...he was only 62.

We will always remember the good times we spent with Grandpa Joe. We hold memories that will last a lifetime, and we will always cherish them...especially our girls. 
^^ Grandpa Joe with Chelsea~ four months old ^^
^^ Crossroads mall in Salt Lake City~ 2000 ^^
 ^^ Dairy Queen was his favorite place to go for ice cream. He spoiled the girls with this. ^^
^^ Chelsea sharing her ice cream with her Grandpa Joe. ^^
 ^^ Corpus Christ, Texas~2002 ^^
^^ Sierra sure loved her grandpa Joe! ^^
One memory Sierra will always hold dear to her heart about her Grandpa Joe is the nickname he came up with for her...Cinderella. Sierra was into the princess phase at the age of five and he knew how much she loved being a princess. He always called her Cinderella up until the day he passed, and even though she's now 16... she will always miss that.
^^ The Alamo~San Antonio, Texas ^^
My daughters and I realized that we should never take our family for granted. Joe's death was a total shock for everyone, and we didn't think he would pass away this soon. We both waited too late to make arrangements for all of us to see each other again so that he could see the girls, and finally meet Noah. They were planning on coming to visit us in the Spring. You never know when you'll see your loved ones again. It's so important to keep in constant contact with the ones you love. We definitely learned the hard way, but we don't dwell on the "what if's" and the "if only's". 

 We know that he's in a better place, and that he's no longer suffering. It's still hard and sad though that he's gone. I know that we will have the opportunity to see him again, and hope that he will be a part of our eternal family. Although he wasn't a member of the church we have the chance to do his work in the temple. Death is devastating, but knowing that families have the chance to be together forever through the gospel of Jesus Christ, accepting it, and being baptized...gives us great hope that he will join our eternal family.

We'll miss you Joe...and try to keep an eye on us from above!

2 comments:

  1. That was my dad. You described him so well. He loved kids and your mom. I really appreciate this blog. Please forward the pictures to me. diazgabriel1977@gmail.com Thank you for loving my dad.
    -Gabriel Diaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gabe! I will definitely email you the photos. He truly was an amazing man. I wish I could have been there for the viewing. I'm truly sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete