REPLY

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

20 years of True Friendship

"My friends remind me, by their very steadfastness, that truth, beauty, and goodness exist in the world, and that no matter what, there are and always will be people loving people through thick and thin."
"My friends remind me, by their very steadfastness, that truth, beauty, and goodness exist in the world, and that no matter what, there are and always will be people loving people through thick and thin."

This is one of my best friends that lives in New Jersey, and she has been there for me since the day I moved here. She and I joined the church two months apart back in the summer of 1992 in Texas. The same LDS sister missionaries taught us the gospel. We both have our September birthdays a day apart and we both are very much alike when it comes to serving each other in friendships.

Today was one of my best afternoons ever spent. It makes me very grateful to have known someone before I moved to New Jersey. We are in different wards, but always make the time to see each other...especially on our birthdays. This year we are both celebrating the 'BIG 40' over the weekend so she made today very special for me. I honestly think that she made this day more special for me than I did for her.

We got caught up on the lives of our children, and reminisced about our days in Texas and how far along we have both grown in the gospel. We are both first generation members and have a strong passion in sharing the gospel. We both express our love and compassion to others in different ways. I love Maggie because she is honest, strong willed, and real. I have known this lovely woman for 20 years, and fellowshipped her as she was investigating the church. I joined two months before she did.
I feel that it is so important in keeping in contact with friends no matter how far the distance. Some of us too often forget the friendships we make once they move away, and lose touch. I knew Maggie for a whole year before we went our separate ways in 1993, and we still managed to keep in touch. Just one year! She married before I did, and moved to New Jersey. I moved to Salt Lake and married a year after living there. We continued corresponding for 16 years! I count my blessings that we never lost touch. Facebook wasn't around in the '90's so I am extremely grateful that we both had a love for handwritten letters (still do), and that is what kept our friendship active.

Just a note:

I thank you Maggie for 19 years of laughter and for the times you have been there, and still are for me. I thank you for your example in continued strength as we both know how life in New Jersey can be. Thank you for being who you are, and for staying strong in the gospel no matter how hard life seems to get. Life is so much easier when true friendships come from the heart, and act from it. I thank our Heavenly Father each day for putting you in my path once again.  I know that we are here for each other for reasons that are beyond our comprehension. Keep confident and don't ever change, and I promise I will do the same!

Thank you for making today very special for us! 
You uplift my soul!
Happy Early 40th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment