REPLY

Monday, September 26, 2011

An Evening with Legacies

"Tennis has stuck with me after more than a decade; it's in your blood. You don't know how much you miss it until you don't play, its amazing and tennis is my life."
~Jimmy Connors (September 24, 2011) 

For my 40th birthday Jon surprised me with two tickets to the Champions shootout game, and took me to Philly to see two of my favorite tennis players that I followed back in the 90's play against each other. I have never sat in on a tennis match before (except for my daughter's), and it was definitely a night to remember. 

As you can see it wasn't a full house, but there were enough fans to make this evening memorable for these tennis legends as they all entered the court to cheer them on.

There were three matches. Andre Agassi and Jim Courier were the first ones to play against each other. It was so fun watching these two play. Andre showed off his power swings and Courier played with finesse. They both played well and Agassi ended up winning the match.


The second match was Pete Sampras (my fave) and Jimmy Connors  (my mother's fave!) This part was surreal. I couldn't believe I was actually watching Connors play. This is a man after my mother's heart, and as I watched him I had flashbacks of when I was a little girl watching him on T.V. I wish my mom could have witnessed this moment. I couldn't believe how well Connors played at his age. He is 59 years old and played so well with his huffing and puffing and all. After the first set was done Connors said, "Is it over yet?" Everyone chuckled. He was out of breath, but was a great sport. I could tell he still has a strong love for the game.
Can I just say how much I love the outfit Jimmy sported on this evening. I love his chartreuse green sweater vest (so preppy), and check out his vintage Nike's. At the end of the game the MC asked him where he found his vintage Nike's and Connors said in his closet. He's old school, and apparently he dug in his closet and grabbed his 20 year old racket and 20 year old Nike's. They are both in excellent shape (including him.) I think Connor's looks good at 59! He's always been a bit of a show man and he still has it!

Pete Sampras showed off his tricky flutters. He is so good with the racket and ended up winning against Connors, hence having Sampras and Agassi play against each other in the end. They both put on a big show. It was like this: Deuce, advantage Sampras, Deuce advantage Agassi. I mean they were really keeping the game going. Sampras hit a few aces, and hit the net a couple of times, but the ball went over. It was a great evening, and I really didn't want it to end. 
I wish I could afford to attend every game in person (including Wimbledon). I look forward to the U.S. Open next year and hope to attend with our oldest daughter. My mother will be here, and she just may have the opportunity to finally sit it on a tennis match...besides her granddaughter's.

No comments:

Post a Comment