REPLY

Friday, September 9, 2011

L.O.V.E.

Tennis has always been my favorite sport. It was something that I wanted to be a part of in high school, but I never gave it a chance. I thought buying a racket would have been to expensive! I began playing tennis in my late teens, learned it on my own, and continued to play until Sierra was born. When I was in college I watched Andre Agassi play and I loved his strength when he'd swing that racket. I still remember the winning shot he did between his legs...incredible! Pete Sampras & Monica Seles were among my favorites as well.

I remember my boyfriend (who is now my husband), and I would go to the courts in Murray, Utah and play long tennis matches. Since my daughter joined the tennis team two years ago her dad and I have been practicing with her. We are slowly getting back into it, but my daughter is getting better and better. It's so fun to play doubles with our girls!

One of my most favorite teenage memories that I have of my mother are the times we would watch tennis together. Her favorites were Billie Jean King, Chris Evert Lloyd, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova, Ivan Lendl, and Boris Becker. It was definitely the 80's, and I loved watching tennis! We would always sit on the couch and concentrate on watching them play. It felt as if we were watching it live. You could hear a pin drop in our little living room. I think my mom got a kick out of the rivalry between Borg and McEnroe. I also remembered McEnroe's infamous phrase, "You cannot be serious?" Those were the good old days.

Now the tradition of watching tennis runs in our family.

Last night after dinner we all sat in our little living room and watched Roger Federer and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga play against each other. We were really getting into the game. We are Federer fans all the way and he is our undisputed number one! About 20 minutes or so into the game it began to drizzle and then the rain began.

WE. WERE. BUMMED!
Too bad the U.S. Open falls at the beginning of the school year. We would have loved to have driven to New York and sat in on their game. We have made it a goal to go next year. Sierra will be a senior and will also be trying out for the singles team. It won't matter if it's a school night... let's just hope it doesn't rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment