REPLY

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Testimony

Moroni 10:4~ One of my favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon
It is  a statue in Palmyra, NY near the visitors center.
When I first became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and the first Sunday of the month came along, I didn't exactly know what to expect. In our church, we have what you call a fast and testimony meeting. This is the time when any member of our congregation stands up to bear their testimony of deity. It occurs on the very first Sunday of each month except in April and October when we have the semi annual General conference.

When I realized what a testimony entailed I knew that eventually I would want to get up, and share it. I was very impressed with some of the members as they walked up to the pulpit to bear their testimony. Every time someone would walk to bear witness of the Savior, the Book of Mormon, the temples, service, or anything spiritually uplifting, my heart would begin beating a million miles a minute!! I knew that as a new member I had to get up and share my feelings and thoughts of the gospel, and how converting a life of Christ truly saved my life.

I knew that when I first read the Book of Mormon in its entirety before becoming LDS, that it made sense and that it was true. Along with the Holy Bible, it is another testament of Jesus Christ that was restored through a prophet named Joseph Smith. I literally knelt down in prayer, something that I hardly ever did growing up, and prayed about this book asking Heavenly Father if it indeed was another testament of Christ. Tears streamed down my face as I immediately received an answer testifying to me that it was.

Throughout praying I was remembering all the sins I committed and pleading to God to forgive me, and to help me do my very best from here on. I knew that making this decision was a huge step in giving my life fully to the Lord, and giving up all the things of the world that were not leading me to a life of happiness. I wanted to know more of the plan of salvation, and wanted to be fully committed. I wanted to be perfect before joining the church, but I realized that was never going to happen. I know now that I'm not, and never will be perfect. What I do know is that I can turn to the scriptures for strength and guidance in helping me with the daily stresses, and trials in my life. I've had trials throughout my whole life, and still have them even after converting a life to Christ. I've also seen many blessings come from those trials, and in striving hard to live a righteous life as a christian.

Some may say that one doesn't need to attend church or any building to be saved or to feel spiritually uplifted, and I suppose that's okay. Well...I need it. The minute I walk into the foyer of our church, I immediately am filled with the spirit of the Lord. I have made the choice as well as my children (no I don't have to force them) to wake up every Sunday, rain, shine, snow, or sleet (unless church is cancelled due to heavy snow) to make it to sacrament service. I love attending all the Sunday school classes, and to learn on how to better our life, and seriously live the gospel! Partaking of the sacrament is something that I need to help me make it through each week. It is also a reminder to me of the atonement, and how Jesus Christ suffered for all of our sins.

I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that it was restored through a prophet, and that we have a prophet today that leads and guides us in helping us to make the right choices in this life. I know that through constant prayer and reading the Book of Mormon that I can get through all the mundane and stresses of life. I'm so thankful to have it in my life, and to be raising my family in it. I pray that everyone will have the opportunity in this lifetime to read it, and hopefully accept it.
 A statue of the angel Moroni on the top of the Hill Cumorah in Palmyra, NY

*If you'd like a copy, please email me or leave a comment. I'd be jumping for joy to give you one...for FREE! It'll be my holiday gift to you, and another way of expressing my gratitude to our Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment