REPLY

Monday, November 7, 2011

Goodbye Texas

Hello, New Jersey!
My cute mom on Padre Island in Corpus Christi, Texas~ 2010
I am so relieved that my husband and mother arrived safe and sound yesterday in the early morning hours. Luckily it was daylight savings time which caused my husband to get an extra hour of sleep before we all went to church. Yes...he drove 30 hours in two days, and probably only had a combined total of ten hours sleep. He managed to wake up to attend sacrament meeting and he even bore his testimony of the savior, and the teachings of the gospel.

What a guy!

I never thought that I would ever have my mother live with me until I was at least in my 50's, but she is, she's alive and well, and my kids LOVE the fact that she is here, and not 1752 miles away.

We are going to make the best of our living situation the best way we know how. I'm sure we will have our moments, but remember that none of us are perfect, and it's okay to have moments of imperfectness with your mother!

This is my mom's first time ever to be living on the east coast where she is already experiencing colder temperatures than Texas, and seeing the change of season. Something she's never quite experienced before except for when she went to Utah for my December wedding in 1994, and stayed for a week. Not long enough to really adjust to the cold weather. She loves seeing leaves on the ground, and the fall foliage on the trees. Another thing she's only seen in pictures.

 She is a big history buff, and is now living in the perfect place for it. She is going to see places she has never seen, and we are going to make it super fun for her. I don't think we will ever be bored with my mother here. She's especially happy that we are close to the shore, and New York City. She loves the ocean, and art...lots of art!

 Since there is no such thing as good mexican food here on the east coast, I will definitely settle for my mom's homemade tortillas, and arroz con pollo. She is a fantastic cook! I can never seem to perfect my cooking like my mom...she can take over my kitchen anytime she pleases!

One thing that I know she'll miss is writing to the girls. Now that she is here, she will no longer need to write long letters. The kiddos always looked forward to her letters. Maybe every now and then they can still mail each other cards.

I love my mom and I am grateful for all the things I went through and experienced with her while growing up, and in the way that she raised me. The past doesn't matter. All that matters is the here and now, and how much I want to make the next 20 years (or more) beautiful, and fun with my mother. It is my turn now to take care of her...

Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment