REPLY

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dinner with a gratitude journal

I know my decorating wasn't very festive this year, but I didn't have any company over this year for Thanksgiving so I made it simple for our sweet family of six. Each year we miss our extended families out west and in South Texas...especially this time of the year. I am extremely grateful that I have enough children to cause enough goofiness, and entertainment to last the whole day through. 
 This year the girls did all the cooking (well, most of it.)  My better half cooked the turkey and made homemade rolls. I pretty much relaxed (well... not really, because I was too busy entertaining Noah and Chelsea.) I guess in some sense that's relaxing...NOT!!! It was so nice for Sierra and Lexie to have helped. Chelsea helped by setting the table. We ended up eating dinner at about 2 pm. I can't eat any later than that! I pretty much starve myself the day before so I can devour enough food on turkey day! Everything was delicious and after a much needed nap (about 30 minutes) we went for a drive, and then had some yummy pumpkin pie.

Noah's favorite dish...yam yummies. He loves them with marshmallows all over them. 
 At the end of the day, each member of my family wrote in my gratitude journal specifically written only on Thanksgiving day. I started this tradition in 2002. I honestly can't remember where the inspiration came from. I have been a journal writer since I joined the church in 1992, and decided to start a separate journal the year the Olympics came to Utah. 
I love the quote on the cover of my journal...
"As much as I complain...I am well aware...of how much I have to be grateful for."

 Isn't that what we mostly write in our daily journals. We tend to vent, and complain about the daily stresses of life. In my gratitude journal...it's all about gracious and kindness. No complaining written here!

Everyone who has ever been to our house for Thanksgiving over the years has written in it. We have had a lot of missionaries, friends, and family record the things they are thankful for in this journal. So if you are ever invited over to our home for Thanksgiving dinner...be ready to gather your thoughts and think of what you are grateful for as you record them in my journal. 
It's always nice to look back at the amazing friends we made, and to read all the things they wrote. 

My family too!
I am thankful for the gospel, for healthy children, great neighbors, my family, friends, and for the small and simple things that have blessed our lives this past year. ~Rose
I am thankful for my family, the missionaries, the gospel, and the atonement. ~Sierra 
 I am thankful for the scriptures, freedom, shelter, animals, family, and food. ~Alexandra
 I am thankful for the scriptures, the knowledge of the gospel, the Savior, the atonement, my family, friends, and the ability I have to support my family. ~Jon
 I am thankful for a house, food, books, school, my family, churches, temples, and Jesus. ~Chelsea
Next year Noah will be old enough to write clear, and not scribble!

I hope that each and every one of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and that you always cherish this thankful holiday.

Now to focus on the Christmas season!

I love, love this time of the year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment