REPLY

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A nice surprise

Oh... doesn't this pie look so good!! I wish I would have taken a picture of the full pie before my kids, and hubby devoured half of it, but it was too late! I also wish that I could take the credit in baking it, but a dear sister in our church baked it on our cooking club night.

 Every other month in our our church we rotate our months by having a cooking club, and a book club. This month was 'to cook', and the sisters learned how to bake an apple pie from scratch! Yes...dough and all! I really need to master my skills in making a home made apple pie from scratch for my loved ones. 

Since cooking club fell on the same evening as my daughter's induction to the NHS I wasn't able to attend. To my surprise the sisters dropped off a yummy homemade apple pie! I was so grateful, and very impressed with the results! It tasted so good! I also realized that I shouldn't eat too much. I really don't want to indulge too much in baked treats and pies...especially over the holidays! One can't help it though, and then we end up paying for it by working it off with a gym membership. Not me. I'm actually one who doesn't have a sweet tooth, but on occasions like this, and with a home made apple pie like this... I think it's okay to indulge a little!

**Here is the recipe for the apple pie!

Grand's Apple pie 
11/4 c. sugar
3 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg

Combine all ingredients and set aside.

8-9 apples (shredded-granny smith or braeburn apples are great, but you can use what you like.)
Orange rind-1/2 to 1 tsp. (this is also optional)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs. pineapple juice ( it can be pineapple tidbits or canned pineapple juice) 

Combine and set those aside. 

1/2 cube butter

Layer sugar mixture, then dime size butter pieces, and then apple mixture. Repeat till all ingredients are gone. This particular recipe is about 3 layers and end up with sugar mixture and butter pieces. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 min. then 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 

Between you and me...the crust was my favorite!!
I am so thankful to the lovely sister who made this for me, and for others. It made my Thanksgiving week, and it was delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment